Re: all apps are black with nvidia driver

What can I say... I have GeForce 7600 256MB, GeForce4 Ti 4600 128MB and even
GeForce2 MX 32MB and no problems.
You also should keep in mind that when you use old cards, use old driver as
well. It isn't worth trying to use new drivers with GeForce4.

<snip>

I have to second that advice. I've used an old TNT2 and an nVidia Vanta. With SlackWare 9 and 10, and whatever version of KDE came with it. Neither would work with newer drivers, and I spent quite a bit of time finding an old set that would work. I did find an old version that works, and they work very well. That is the trick - keep trying old drivers until you find one that works.