Re: winecfg fails to open X window

From: Nigel Henry <cave.dnb@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: wine-users@xxxxxxxxxx
CC: "Ivan Kautter" <ivankautter@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re:  winecfg fails to open X window
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 01:40:22 +0100

On Tuesday 14 March 2006 00:31, Ivan Kautter wrote:
> List serv subscribers,
>
> I am relatively new to Linux and of course this is my first time using
> Wine. I get this error message when trying to run winecfg:
>
> err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin
> L"winex11.drv": libXxf86vm.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such
> file or directory
> err:imagelist:ImageList_ReplaceIcon no color!
> err:imagelist:ImageList_ReplaceIcon no color!
> err:imagelist:ImageList_ReplaceIcon no color!
> err:imagelist:ImageList_ReplaceIcon no color!
> err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin
> L"winex11.drv": libXxf86vm.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such
> file or directory
> Application tries to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
> Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly
>
> Echoing $DISPLAY gives me this:
> :0.0
>
> X Server is indeed running otherwise I would not be using a browser to post
> this.  Do I need to further specify the DISPLAY variable in this manner:
>
> localhost:0.0
> or
> a variant of this with the full host and domain names specified???
>
> I am assuming this is the problem but I am in no way certain of this.  I
> have seen this kind of error reported in starting up winecfg for the first
> time but with no resolution of the problem that I have seen.
>
> I also did a find for the dll that it claims that it cannot find and indeed
> it cannot be found:
>
> find / libXxf86vm.so.1
>
> find: libXxf86vm.so.1: No such file or directory
>
> Also did find / libXxf86vm.so* and find / libXxf86vm.so
>
> This would also seem to be a serious problem but perhaps I searched for it
> in an inappropriate manner.
>
> Any assistance greatly appreciated.  If you can, post your explanations
> with the assumption that I am a newbie as I pretty much am.  Thanks for
> your time and attention.
>
> Ivan Kautter

Hi Ivan. This is just a thought. Check if you have the apps "dialog" , and
"whiptail" installed, which are used by the shell as a simple window for
configuring stuff. I don't know which distro you are using. With Debian, or
Fedora Core/Planetccrma, you will be able to look in synaptic to see if they
are installed. Nigel.

Listserv subscribers

Installed the programs you suggested, Nathan, and this did not remedy the problem. Thanks for the assistance. Still looking for some assistance on this issue. Does anyone know where libXxf86vm.so.1 should have come from. Should it have been available before wine was installed or is it a product of the wine installation. Thanks again for any assistance.

Ivan Kautter