Re: Wine & Putty & telnet

jm wrote:

On 2/9/06, Zvone Zagar <zvone.zagar@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

I am new to the list. In fact I have been using 'wine' just for a couple
of days. Well I use Linux for many, many years.
I have installed Wine ver. 0.9.7 on SuSE 9.3 (rpm) and SuSE 9.0
(compiled from source). Then I tried Putty 0.58.
It starts OK. I can get login prompt from any sshd. But I don't get a
login prompt when I try to connect to any telnet servers.
Putty for Linux works.
Any idea ? I would appreciate any clue.

Regards Zvone Zagar

if putty for linux works, why use putty via wine?  it's just an
additional, unneccesary layer adding complexity.
if you want to connect to a ssh server, why not just use ssh?
if you want to connect to a telnet server, why not just use telnet?

does putty via wine give some additional functionality that the
readily available, simpler programs don't?

I must explain it. I am aware of that. But in Linux version of Putty I
have problem emulating DEC VT220. Application keyboard (using ESC[n~)
does not  allow me to switch between Numeric and Application keypad
(Using CTRL + NUMLOCK). I must use 'xterm R6' setting which places
PF1-PF4 keys on different location. I have many users now running Putty
on Windows 9x. I want migrate these users to Linux and  if possible keep
existing PF* keys layout.
I know I have more options (xterm - up to and including  SuSE 9.0,
mlterm, xiterm).  I  have been using these emulators for quite some time.
Ok. If  Putty + Wine will not work I am going to resort to above
mentioned solutions.

Thanks for your time and tips !