Re: Beginner needs help !

I am unable to run anything, even winecfg.
[wec@wec-vero ~]$ winecfg
wine: creating configuration directory '/home/wec/.wine'...
No error message, but no window opens :-((

   Does it actually create the directory /home/wec/.wine ?
   Is there anything in it after this happens?
   Have you tried running the wincfg program as root?

   A dumb question, but I'll ask anyway, you are in an x-windows
session, right?

  Also, try setting a WINEDEBUG option and dump the output
to a file.  Perhaps it will shed some light on the issue.
When I run (with a working wine system):

WINDEBUG="+all" winecfg >& ./winecfg.debug

  This produces about 68M of output, so you might try just using
"warn+all" and maybe that will show enough to give you a heads up
as to the problem.

I can get the control back with Ctrl-C, which leaves several
processes (wineserver,wine-preloader,and wineprefixcreate).
I can kill them all except wine-preloader (even with kill -9).
I now have a bunch of them...

  Try using "kill -KILL".  That always takes care of any stubborn
processes on my system.

Mr Duck