Re: 128-bit encryption message since update to 0.9.6

Joachim von Thadden wrote:

At the moment it seems that there are certain drawbacks with WineTools
and Wine-0.9.6. As the situation with WineTools is undebuggable for
developers I would suggest you either downgrade Wine to the version you
had runnig before

I'll think about that. I DIDN'T use WineTools with Wine 0.9.6, I used it with 0.9.4. The newer version of Wine is just using the .wine that 0.9.4 was working fine with.

So all tweaks of WineTools are in there... as I said: Undebuggable for
developers.

Hokay, so basically something broke somewhere in Wine 0.9.6, and Wine developers can't track it down because I presume it's some setting somewhere in something that WineTools did - registry entry, DLL overrides, etc, etc. Now, of course, there's nothing that says a similar setting might not be made somewhere in the Wine configuration by winecfg, and similarly hose things that effect running IE6, and be just as similarly undebuggable ...

I just tried to go back to my previous version - which was 0.9-1 (not 0.9.4, sorry). Now IT gives me the same error message about needing 128-bit encryption. So the new Wine must have hosed something in my .wine ... I really hope that the developers of Wine and of WineTools land on the same page someday. Wine desperately needs to be able to handle installing Windows apps without making users jump through hoops like the conglomeration in the app DB presents. WineTools is a step in that direction.

Back to Win4Lin. If dealing with Wine upgrades means trashing your Wine settings and starting all over from scratch each time, it's just as time consuming as upgrading a Windows installation ... :-(

End of rant. 'Bye!

--
David
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx