Re: Wine's seti@home team

Nigel Henry wrote:
Hi Ivan. This is just fine. If I can get a binary install of Boinc with GUI, I will run that
You can get it from http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php
look for the Linux/x86 section. It's a self extracting archive, package manager is required.

Now I may just be very stupid, but seeing a post to the wine-users list asking for folks running seti@home to join wine's team. Logically you appeared to be asking for folks who were running the Windows version of Boinc under Wine on a Linux based machine to join Wine's team as a sort of challenge to the Windows users that are running Boinc.
No, we'll never ever be able to do that, we're competing with Microsoft Corporations, not all the Windows users.

I would still prefer to run Boinc on Wine, more to try out Wine's capabilities. I'm also trying various music apps left over from my Windows days. Some work on Wine, Some don't. It's all a bit of an academic exercise, but definately without IE coming into the equation. Nigel.

The plan is to write an IE replacement at some point, not a browser but something that provides the features programs need. However this doesn't appear to be a very high priority now. In the mean time I believe running the native linux version of BOINC is the best solution.

Ivan.