Shared file not working properly

I'm running an application that runs with a shared file.

That is multiple instances of the application open the same
file and use some sort of record locking.

Under MS Windows, vmware, win4lin the application works correctly.

Under wine, the 2nd and subsequent incarnations of the application
report

Error - Cannot Open Data File
C:\DATA\DATABASE.DF1
This File is already open on this Workstation or it is set to Read Only Mode
Procedure New File Menu 22

I've used the file from a local filesystem, via smbfs, and via cifs. All
fail in this same way under wine.

I'm guessing some record locking call is not doing the right thing.

Any pointers on how I might trace down this problem?

--
Brian Litzinger