VFP6 runtime app. in wine

Hi,

I’m trying to get a VFP6 runtime app working a well as possible in WINE. Whilst I have a number of years of Linux experience, I’m new to WINE.

I’ve googled a fair bit on this, but references to VFP on WINE all seem to be from 2003, and a lot must have happened since then.

Can anyone point me to a RECENT howto addressing some of the problems I might face and workarounds for these?

Specifically the fonts suck, and as Truetype Fonts in Linux are now better established, I’m wanting to build in proper substitutions rather than install the M$ fonts.

So far, with very basic testing the APP seems to work fairly well on a deb install of wine 0.9.1, with no crashes IF:

 I put the following native dll’s into ~/drive_c/windows/system32::

 Oleacc.dll, gdi32.dll, user32.dll

The latter two are according to the documentation a very bad idea as they access the windows kernel directly, but failing to have them there results in the app not starting and VFP complaining that it can’t load them.There must be something basic I’m not getting here.

I must start the app from its install directory thussly:

  [App Install Directory prompt]$ wine [app].exe

attempts to start from somewhere else, eg:

   ~/$ wine “C:\Program Files\[app directory]\app.exe” result in the executable being found, but on startup it looks in the folder from which I ran the command for all dependent resources.  The same thing happens if I try to use the desktop launcher links which the application installer placed on my desktop and wine menus (app looks in my home directory). Using the winefile explorer and clicking on the app works fine, however. This must be a vary basic mistake in my wine setup.

There is a plethora of tools available for setting up wine, all available in apt with the debian and winehq repositories in my apt sources.lst.

I suspect that some of these are not current, and may mess up my wine configuration. I abandoned wine-tools 3.0.9 fairly early on after the application installed under drive_c whilst all my configuration attempts suggested I was using fake_windows as my wine root.

Here is a copy of my current ~/.wine/config

Cheers

Marius