Re: [Wine]Goldwave 5

Holly,

Thanks for your reply. I do have an ATI card, how do I determine which driver I am using. I have not added anything and just used the native driver in FC2.

Thanks,
Leon

Holly Bostick wrote:

Leon Kackman wrote:

Hi all,

I am relatively new to Linux and wine and I am trying to run an audio editing software called Goldwave 5.06 (version 4.26 works relatively well). 5.06 installs ok but when I go to run it I get the following error:

"Driver does not support 16 bit colour depth or visual buffer could not be created. Visual disabled."

This suggests to me that you have an ATI card and are using the closed-source ATI binary drivers to run it.

If that is the case, you have a problem, because the currently-available ATI drivers only run in 24-bit (which is the same as 32-bit under Windows). There is no way around this until new drivers become available (which are expected within a week)-- but whether new drivers will run in other color depths than 24-bit is unknown.

If you are running such a card using such a driver, you might consider switching temporarily to the VESA driver, which provides no 3D acceleration (but you don't need it for this program anyway, I don't think), but which does allow you to change your color depth.

Sorry I can't do better, but maybe I'm completely off the mark and this is not your problem at all.

And the meter displays do not work. I have tried adjusting the color depth in linux to no avail. When I set the color depth to 8 bit (just to see what happens) Goldwave tells me it must have at least 16 bit.

I am running FC2 on a dual boot system with Windows ME and I have the most recent version of wine (20041201) and wine tools 209.

Any thoughts?

See above; apparently the program needs 16-bit specifically in order to display.

Also, the software has trouble with my USB soundcard, it finds the soundcard but says it can't load the driver.

Again, any thoughts?

Sorry, no; I know nothing about USB, much less under Wine (no USB devices-- yay, me ;-) !)

It is really impressive what this project is doing and what I am able to do with wine.
Thanks much,
Leon

HTH,
Holly