using wine from a cgi

Hi all -
I have apache on redhat linux & the latest version of wine. I'd like to make a perl cgi script that uses a windows program to do some processing for a web page. The script does what it is supposed to do (wine starts & the windows program runs AOK) when run from the command line as root, but when it runs under user apache from a www request, I don't think wine even starts. I have a feeling that it is because user apache does not have a home directory for wine to put its .wine directory - but I don't know how to fix that.
Has anyone succeeded in getting a perl script called by a cgi request to apache to run a windows program under wine? If so, how? Does anyone know that it is impossible?
Thanks so much for any help.

Brian
Professor Brian T White
Biology Department