Re: Windows programs with hardware and special drivers

Mark Knecht wrote:

Hi,
  Just a question. Can Wine run today, or will Wine ever be able to run, a
Windows program that comes with a specific piece of audio hardware and
supplies it's own driver for controlling that hardware?

  I'm upgrading a piece of audio equipment that used to be a PCI device but
has become a 1394 device. Would my Windows software have any chance of
installing it's driver under Wine and have it share the Linux-1394 drivers?
Under Windows this driver is able to share a 1394 adapter with other
applications and with Windows itself, so it appears to be fairly well
behaved.

  I understand that Wine may not support 1394 today. I don't know. I'm
really just asking for the future.

Thanks,
Mark

Hi Mark,

I'm not sure I understood your question correctly.

If your application merely comes with a hardware device, and this device has a 100% standard driver (and the application is actually using the device through the standard interfaces), and this device also has a Linux driver, then there is no reason for Wine not to correctly run this application. Basically, you need to configure your Linux box to support the device through the Linux driver, and then install the app and let it understand that the driver is already installed.

If, on the other hand, the application requires this particular audio device, and this particular driver, there is a good chance that it communicates with the driver in interfaces that are beyond the standard interfaces. I'm afriad that, in that case, the chances of this app ever working on Wine are not high.

Wine does not, and is not planned to, support hardware drivers designed for Windows.

Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Systems Consulting