Re: Still need windows? Windows Messaging Service

John Creegan wrote:

What I've read suggests that wine is still alpha and that it hasn't cut the ties to windows too much yet.

Yes, Wine is still alpha. But I don't think the second part is true; many of the programs I try work quite good (I don't run games). I do not use a Windows partition, and the only Windows native DLL I use routinely is msvcrt. Otherwise, there are a few other native DLLs I use only for certain programs.

There are certainly areas where Wine lags quite a bit. I don't know what Windows Messaging Service is (isn't that the one spammers were using for popups), and don't recall seeing any such message, so I don't know whether Wine supports it or it is something that is downloaded or installed.

For a start I'm going to rebuild wine and allow it to use the windows
install, just to see what will happen.  Before that I'm going to TAR the
existing dir structure  including my .wine dir so I can go back quickly.

There is no reason to rebuild Wine. The only part that changes is the config files in .wine. I hope you back up your Win partitions, because there is a (small) chance that you could corrupt it running it with Wine. A better choice, if you really want to try this, would be to copy the relevant portions to somewhere on your Linux partition.