Re: Various problems- it just gets worse!

Tom Barnes-Lawrence wrote:

... The instructions for setting up the registry make no mention of using the /E flag, even though that's what it took for me to get it to work. The usage info also says that without any switches, it will add the contents of the specified registry file, like the instructions all say. And this does not work, and the /E option doesn't work the same way, and so on and so on.

Possibly what was happening was that you had the wineserver running in a persistent state (it did not exit). If for example, with a ~/.wine directory that contains only a config file, I run the two commands:

wineserver -p
regedit winedefault.reg

Then I look at the ~/.wine directory, and there are no *.reg files there. But if I then do "kill <wineserver process>", the files suddenly appear. And the wineserver can remain persistent for a variety of reasons; it does not require that you explicitly use the "-p" option.

So basically, the reason the instructions do not say anything about using the /E flag is that it is not the normal way of running regedit.

I do understand the aversion to scripts, but the wineinstall one is fairly mild. I've been using Wine for more than 3 years and have even done some development on it (I wish I had more time for that... sigh). Still, if I want to test with a clean install, I delete or move the old windows and .wine directories and just use wineinstall to create fresh versions. Because, well, it just works so well and is a lot easier than doing the configuration by hand.