Re: Keep wine resident

As the OP wants to make a large series of runs with a short-running,
non-graphical program, what about writing a small program to
run a program repeatedly? For argument's sake assume that the driving
program reads a file where each line contains the name of the program
to be run followed by the parameters to be used for that run. Each line
in the file causes the program to be run once. The pseudo-code is
something like this:

for all lines in the control file
   read a line
   result = execute the line
   if result = failure
      stop

In this, the line is executed by calling a function equivalent to the
standard C function system(). This takes a single parameter that has
the form "progname arguments..." and runs 'progname', passing it the
arguments. Output from 'progname is sent to stdout and stderr and a
status code is returned to show whether the 'progname' run was
successful or not.

Most programming languages have an equivalent of the system() function,
so this small program could be written in any of them. Obvious
languages to use are C, Python or Perl, though it may be possible to
use a Powershell script, VBA, Javascript or something that can be run
under .NET or Mono.

Martin