Mappery inquiry

	Last time I tried, a few years back, Wine was not yet up to
handling Garmin's proprietary topo map software. It would install, and
sometimes even work, so long as I didn't try to connect a GPS to it. (The
ones I have are all also Garmins -- old ones wanting a serial port.)

	I made a huge effort, for most of a year, with a lot of help from
high-powered Alpha Plus Technoids on several lists, this one not least
among them. But I only ever got one GPS to talk to the software one time,
and never figured out how ....

	What I'm trying to do (and did, under M$, years ago) is go locate
game trails, lunch rocks, good stands, etc., on a hunting ground; then
come home and include all that info into a good map, to scale, of the
hunting ground.

	Another approach would be to install, say, XP onto a virtual
machine, and do the work there. That did work, for a while, after a
sufficiently sophisticated technoid friend installed an emulation, or
sandbox, or whatever it was. But when I once bollixed up the virtual
machine, my cyber-savvy didn't suffice to restore it.

	And yes, I know there are Linux-native suites nowadays; and
Garmin is reported to've put its source code into the public domain.
Alas!, those suites all seem to require advanced degrees in CS,
cartography, or fields too fierce to mention. <sigh>

	Are we there yet?

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Power User
Remember I know little (precious little!) of where up is.