Re: Clicking image files will not auto open with irfanview.

On Thu, 2012-06-14 at 12:49 -0500, skikir wrote:
> OK,,,,,"write a wrapper script",,,"sets WINEPREFIX ..." ,,,, O,K...,,,, I think I will need to re read this a couple dozen times. [Shocked]

You *must* set $WINEPREFIX if your Window app isn't in the default Wine
prefix "~/.wine" - and its considered good practise to put unrelated
apps in separate Wine prefixes since it means that updating one of them
is less likely to corrupt anything else in that prefix.

Including setting WINEPREFIX you also need to:

(a) cd to the directory holding the EXE you want to run because, unlike
Linux programs, Windows EXEs typically expect your current working
directory to be set to the directory they're installed in.

(b) issue the "wine myexe.exe \opts files" with the program name
expressed as a local name and with absolute paths for any files passes
as command line parameters.

You can always try setting up a launcher or configuring the file manager
with all three terms in its command field like this:

 export WINEPREFIX=~/.wineprefix; cd path/to/exe/dir; wine myexe.exe ..

but you may find it easier to put the three items in a wrapper script
and reference that. FWIW there are two good places to put the script:

1) If you tend use different logins for different tasks, make sure that
/usr/local/bin is in $PATH and put it there. If /usr/local/bin isn't in
$PATH, add a file to /etc/profile.d called, say, path.sh containing the
line:
	pathmunge /usr/local/bin after

You only have to do this once.

2) If you'll only use it from one login, set up the $HOME/bin directory
in that login and add the line:

	export PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin

into $HOME/.bashrc as the last line. You only have to do this once.

Last but not, least, don't forget that running stuff under Wine is bound
to be harder to do than running native packages because the way Windows
apps like to be run seems just perverse when you're used to Linux. Have
you tried using native image manipulators, e.g. Shotwell, F-spot or
Image Magick to deal with directories full of image files and GIMP for
detailed hackery on an individual file?

> Would I need to do this for every application running under Wine I
> install?  Say, opening an .XLS file with Xcel or .PDF with Acrobat?

Only if you insist on installing MS Orifice or the Adobe Acrobat
Reader.

I find that the Libre Office does a good job of reading every XLS, DOC
and PPT file I've tried it with and of writing them if some poor,
benighted Orifice user has the read them. It exports PDFs too.

Reading PDF files? xpdf does a good job displaying any PDF I've needed
to read.

Martin