Wine Licensing with regards to use in Companies

Hey All,

Have searched both forums and FAQ and have read the Licensing stuff on the site, but can't seem to get a definitive answer, so here goes.

My company recently switched over to Ubuntu 11.10 as their main OS from Windows 7. Unfortunately, most of the tools available us plebs on the floor, to actually do our jobs, are not compatible with Linux.

I recently suggested that I.T. allow the installation of Wine to enable us to actually do what is requested of us. I got the response that we would be unable to as "it would be a breach of licensing contract. Wine can only have one license per company."

Now, as far as I understand it, licensing is not an issue when it comes to Wine and what I've received is essentially a PFO.

So, what I'm looking for is confirmation that this is just crap and that the Lesser General Public License confirms this.

Don't worry, not like I'm going to be quoting specific usernames from a forum to I.T., but if I had confirmation that the LGPL says there's not an issue, I would have a much stronger case.

Thanks in advance.