Re: Help!!! - New Wine - now my apps don't work

Mark Knecht wrote:

Tony,
  Thanks for the quick response. I'll check out the links this
afternoon. I'll see if I can figure out the desktop mode you speak of
and try it from there.

  I got Quicken running again by reinstalling wine with no windows. I
am concerned that the 'With Windows' mode makes the C:\ drive my real
Windows C drive. This would potentially make new installations write to
the real registry, wouldn't it? That's scary to me. I do not want Wine
to have any effect on a correctly working portion of a dual boot machine
like this.

It makes sense to be at least a little scared. In the past running explorer.exe (and some other programs) can have annoying consequences (corrupting your windows drive as described in the README file) The safest way to use wine is without windows. The biggest problem with this method is sharing data between the two installations. If you have not done so I would suggest that you do a backup of your windows drive if you decide to use it in shared mode with wine.

Thanks for all your help! Makes me feel better someone is out there!

Your welcome.

--

Tony Lambregts