Re: Quickbooks and Wine

On Sat, 24 Aug 2002 08:46:30 +0930
"Tom Docking" <tom@aaledo.com.au> wrote:

> > A little while ago someone posted that they had Quickbooks running
> > under wine. Was this installed under Wine, or it is running from a
> > dual-boot situation?
>
> CodeWeavers apparantly has Quickbooks running (unsupported) under
> CrossOver Office 1.2. (Quicken running supported, for what *that* is
> worth...)

I suspected that, was hoping someone could say they had tried it in
practice.

> Codeweavers puts its code back into Wine; the only thing they don't is
> anything they make for installation purposes. As such, if you can get
> it installed, you'd expect to have luck running it under the latest
> CVS.
>
> Of course, CrossOver Office doesn't cost much, either...
>
> (I'm still waiting for a response from MYOB Australia (MYOB's head
> office) about my offer to port MYOB to Linux for *free* using Winelib.
> Hopefully the Quickbooks scenario will change things.)

I'm still waiting for Sage to think about porting their bottom-end
products. The top end one was done (after pressure from IBM I strongly
suspect) but that is not cheap and seems to need DB2 or such as well.

The bottom end ones have a hefty ActiveX DLL as their interface. I could
get several companies to ditch MS if that was ported.