AGU 2024 Session V032: What Goes up must (eventually) come down...

6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6

From: "Andrews, Benjamin" <AndrewsB@xxxxxx>

Dear colleagues,

On behalf of my fellow conveners, I would like to draw your attention to
Fall AGU Session V032 What Goes Up Must (Eventually) Come Down: Dynamics of
and Deposition from Volcanic Eruption Columns, Plumes, and Pyroclastic
Density Currents (confex.com)
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://agu.confex.com/agu/agu24/prelim.cgi/Session/228435__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!eJnxAZixAfQgVRmWx9cOBwLjhK_ZNuJd1ZUZpZAq9q3Ag6ThO3YABS1w3auDRLu5WQmnDtYGSiDXjh_1kLMH9ftr2g$>

â??Volcanic eruption columns, plumes, and pyroclastic density currents (PDCs)
can rapidly distribute ash and other pyroclastic material into the
atmosphere and over local and distal areas. Dispersal of this material can
strongly impact and alter the landscape; those processes can also present
substantial hazards to human life and property. Understanding explosive
eruption dynamics is thus critical to interpreting ancient deposits and
forecasting modern or future volcanic activity. This session will explore
physical eruption processes using fieldwork on ancient or modern eruptions,
observations of modern eruptions, computational modeling, analog
experiments, or some combination thereof. Particular areas of interest
include (1) the effects of vent overpressure and vent geometry on eruption
processes, (2) air entrainment into eruption columns and PDCs, (3) controls
on eruption column height, (4) particle aggregation, charging, and volcano
lightning, (5) plume dispersal and sedimentation, (6) PDC transport and
deposition, and (7) buoyancy reversal and plume formation from PDCs.â??

As a reminder, abstract submission closes at 23:59 p.m. ET/03:59 +1 GMT

If you have any questions about the session, feel free to email me.

Sincerely,

Ben

Benjamin Andrews

Corrado Cimarelli