Session S15 at Rittmann 2024 Conference: "Linking Surface Observables to Sub-Volcanic Plumbing Systems at Active Calderas"

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

From: Lucia Pappalardo <lucia.pappalardo@xxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to invite you to join us at the Rittmann 2024 Conference in
Catania, scheduled for September 18-20, 2024. We are excited to bring to
your attention *Session S15: "Linking Surface Observables to Sub-Volcanic
Plumbing Systems at Active Calderas"*, dedicated to analyzing caldera
unrest through multi- and interdisciplinary approaches, with a particular
focus on the latest research related to the *Campi Flegrei caldera.*

https://www.conferenzarittmann.it/sessioni/sessioni/56-s20-the-manifold-interaction-between-
<http://goog_1484867782>
humans-and-volcanoes-interdisciplinary-studies-around-volcanology.html
<http://humans-and-volcanoes-interdisciplinary-studies-around-volcanology.htmll>

Below is an overview of the session. The deadline for abstract submission
is May 17, 2024.
Session S15: Linking Surface Observables to Sub-Volcanic Plumbing Systems
at Active Calderas

Large calderas are responsible for some of the most catastrophic eruptions
on Earth. These systems often undergo prolonged periods of unrest,
characterized by ground deformation, seismicity, gravity changes, and
degassing, which may or may not lead to an eruption. It is challenging to
determine whether unrest results from magma transfer, hydrothermal system
changes, tectonic processes, or a combination of these factors, even at
well-studied and closely monitored volcanoes.

Despite advances in monitoring technology, linking observed signals to
magma movement from deep reservoirs to the surface remains complex.
Consequently, it is crucial to develop multidisciplinary approaches to
thoroughly investigate and monitor volcano conditions. This is essential
for providing timely interpretation of monitoring data during periods of
unrest.
A key focus is the densely populated Campi Flegrei caldera, which has
experienced unrest over the past seven decades, recently attracting
national and international attention due to seismicity associated with the
ongoing unrest.

This session aims to gather scientists from various disciplines, including
stratigraphy, igneous petrology, geochemistry, structural geology, geodesy,
geophysics, laboratory experiments, and numerical modeling. We strongly
encourage interdisciplinary contributions to gain a comprehensive
understanding of active calderas like Campi Flegrei and others worldwide.

We hope you will consider submitting an abstract and look forward to your
participation in this engaging session.

Kind regards,
Lucia Pappalardo, Anna Tramelli, Elisa Trasatti, and Stefano Caliro

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1