COMET+ Webinar: Natalie Harvey (University of Reading)

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

From: Yasser Maghsoudi Mehrani <Y.Maghsoudi@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

COMET (The Centre for Observation and Modelling of Earthquakes, Volcanoes,
and Tectonics) invites you to the next installment of our COMET+
webinar series, viewable from the home office.

*Enhancing confidence in volcanic ash forecasts: Approaches for quantifying
and reducing uncertainty*

*Wednesday, May **1st**, 2024, at 4pm UK time* (3pm UTC / 5pm CEST / 8am PDT
)

*Natalie Harvey*

University of Reading

*Please register at: *

https://universityofleeds.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_AXrwphWNQUK7PXLaFwgJrg
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://universityofleeds.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_AXrwphWNQUK7PXLaFwgJrg__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!c0XL5_PaOpv8HJttcrrHxQ5DG9Vd_e8GEeeOE6uPmN9RnlWRJQPxR-9EaePUc0Om6HklAcWj_pixH_Tr0bUIgUFaHA$>

(After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing
information on how to join the webinar)

*Abstract:*

Generating accurate quantitative volcanic ash forecasts poses a
considerable challenge, especially in remote volcanic locations where there
are large uncertainties regarding the timing, quantity, and vertical
distribution of ash released. Quantifying this uncertainty is crucial for
providing timely and reliable volcanic hazard warnings. Our research
presents methodologies aimed at quantifying the uncertainty associated with
volcanic ash dispersion forecasts. Ensemble forecasting techniques that
account for input, parametric, and structural uncertainties result in
volcanic ash forecasts with low confidence, making them challenging for
decision-making. To enhance the utility of these forecasts, we introduce
data assimilation methods that combine ensemble volcanic ash predictions
with satellite retrievals, considering uncertainties from both data
sources. This approach enables us to constrain emission estimates,
subsequently increasing confidence in the forecasts. By applying a
risk-based methodology to these refined dispersion simulations, we
significantly reduce the high-risk areas, minimizing disruptions to flight
operations. These findings offer insights for the design of ensemble
methodologies, facilitating the transition from deterministic to
probabilistic volcanic ash forecasting.

Catch up on past COMET and COMET+ webinars on our YouTube page:
*https:/www.youtube.com/channel/UCtFDytX1hgjvlS4NH48M2oQ/video
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtFDytX1hgjvlS4NH48M2oQ/videos__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!c0XL5_PaOpv8HJttcrrHxQ5DG9Vd_e8GEeeOE6uPmN9RnlWRJQPxR-9EaePUc0Om6HklAcWj_pixH_Tr0bXLai6Pdw$>*

Best wishes,

Isabelle Taylor & Yasser Maghsoudi

COMET - Centre for the Observation and Modelling of Earthquakes, Volcanoes
and Tectonics

*https://comet.nerc.ac.uk/
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://comet.nerc.ac.uk/__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!c0XL5_PaOpv8HJttcrrHxQ5DG9Vd_e8GEeeOE6uPmN9RnlWRJQPxR-9EaePUc0Om6HklAcWj_pixH_Tr0bWXaeQ2hQ$>*

*@NERC_COMET