EGU2024 Session GMPV9.1 Call for abstracts

5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5

From: Chiara Maria Petrone <C.Petrone@xxxxxxxxx>

Dear all,

We would like to invite you to submit your abstract to session *GMPV9.1 on
Volcano Monitoring *at the next EGU 2024. The session is aimed at exploring
the broad field of volcano monitoring from traditional to novel techniques
and the new frontiers in the field. We welcome inter- and multidisciplinary
approaches and best practices in hazard assessment and risk mitigation.

The deadline to submit your abstract is *10th January 2023*:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU24/sessionprogramme/5236__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!ebzfqIBLc3NYXoagqysmMGL1yie3MNfZofH8VKF9yvHE_4qlb-1lbQ2PPoLrxsANcW-5WO9GDAOZ2YTA$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU24/sessionprogramme/5236__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!Z3gxbrLDSiBrCx_TBg4qoPxaWJxJD1jVWvKyMbbgxDyXX-bttNvKfnReZKxMl1l2KAyc11Lscd3mz_s-VSRPm7_4$>

We hope to see you in Vienna,

Chiara, Daniele and Matt

*GMPV9.1 - Volcano Monitoring: where we are and what we need*Conveners:
Chiara Maria Petrone, Matthew Pankhurst, Daniele Andronico
Invited Speaker: Giovanni Chiodini

Monitoring active and quiescent volcanoes is the pillar for
successful hazard assessment and risk mitigation. Traditional surficial and
aerial monitoring is increasingly associated with petrology and
novel techniques such as muography, new generation of remote
sensing, unoccupied aircraft systems and continuous gas monitoring. Equally
important is to establish the volcano eruptive history and
probabilistic eruption forecasting modelling. However, many volcano
observatories lack
economic resources to deploy many of the current techniques and
thus acquire additional monitoring data for a more effective
volcano surveillance. Development of low-cost monitoring equipment
and higher-throughput methods are under way which promise to address
this economic barrier to science and hazard mitigation.
In this session, we welcome contributions of any aspect of the broad field
of volcano monitoring from traditional to novel techniques and the new
frontiers in the field. Inter- and multidisciplinary approaches and best
practices in hazard assessment and risk mitigation are particularly welcome.

5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5