Call for abstracts - EGU2024 GMPV8.4 - Toward realistic modelling of magma ascent and volcano deformation

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

From: "Drymoni, Kyriaki" <kyriaki.drymoni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear All,

If you are attending the EGU General Assembly next year (14-19 April
2024) we invite you to submit an abstract in our GMPV8.4 session 'Toward
realistic modelling of magma ascent and volcano deformation'
(
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU24/session/50189__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!bYrks91CUMt0cYO72ThOHpZnxNvt26aDEBsxRPP67lDkqFe98N2Z0jneSf3Qy2ZD_SwBUKLAtJTS5N2NKBkRhyn6ee-EEvb9nUMJ$
 ).

Abstract deadline is January 10th, 2024.

Session description:

Toward realistic modelling of magma ascent and volcano deformation

Data from monitored volcanoes e.g., ground deformation, seismicity, gas
analysis, and thermal imaging has improved significantly. Creating and
testing models that can explain features of these datasets is essential
to explain how and why volcanoes erupt. This remains challenging partly
because we lack a unified model for the dominant processes that drive
the formation and arrangement of magmatic plumbing systems that
ultimately feed volcanic eruptions. The extent to which different model
assumptions and simplifications affect the uncertainties of their
outcomes also remains unclear.
In this session, we seek contributions related to multidisciplinary
approaches such as numerical and laboratory modelling, geodesy and
geophysics that use novel methodologies to link the effects of magma
migration with real-time modelling applications. We welcome
contributions on magma/ host rock mechanical heterogeneity, magma
rheology/outgassing, rock-magma interaction and magma-fault interaction
in various tectonic stress regimes from rock testing, geophysical
measurements, or geological field observation. Additionally, we seek
contributions from those working on imaging and eruption precursors,
data collection and interpretation by comparing and integrating
field/experimental/numerical/machine learning and AI methods.
Broadly, this session aims to discuss state-of-the-art, realistic,
interdisciplinary models of magma ascent and storage that drives volcano
deformation. Our hope is that this session will provide interesting
discussions on volcano dynamics and aid in more effective identification
and interpretation of volcanic activity within volcanoes and volcanic
unrest.

We look forward to seeing you all in Vienna,

Kyriaki Drymoni, Sam Poppe, Claire Harnett, Tim Davis

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2