Two Postdoctoral Positions in Bio-accelerated Weathering for Energy Critical Element Recovery and CO2 Sequestration at Cornell

4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4

From: Esteban Gazel <egazel@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Two Postdoctoral Positions in Bio-accelerated Weathering for Energy
Critical Element Recovery and CO2 Sequestration at Cornell

The revolution triggered by the clean energy transition and the US
governmentâ??s initiatives to expand the domestic supply chain for clean
energy technologies are placing an unprecedented demand for critical
elements such as the rare earths, Ni, Co, and the platinum group elements.
However, current methods of metal extraction leave considerable amounts of
toxic waste and have a high carbon footprint. Even if we succeed in
electrifying all the energy infrastructure, there remains an unavoidable
need to remove CO2 from the atmosphere.

Synthetic biology, in combination with mineralogy and geochemistry,
provides a new frontier for sustainable energy innovation. To solve the
supply challenges of energy critical elements and large-scale carbon
removal we have spearheaded an interdisciplinary project to develop
engineered microbes capable of dissolving rocks with low energy and carbon
input that will provide critical elements for energy technologies, while at
the same time providing cations needed CO2mineralization.

This project builds upon a long-term collaboration between the Barstow and
Gazel groups, which has successfully developed engineered microorganisms
for extracting and separating rare earth elements for energy
technologies. The two groups meet formally every two weeks, but members of
the groups communicate daily and move seamlessly between the two labs. This
project comes with significant entrepreneurial opportunities and potential
for commercialization. Our collaboration already resulted in the successful
startup REEgen, Inc., founded by a graduate student and postdoc from our
previous project.

To achieve our project objectives, we are recruiting:

1.  A postdoctoral associate under the supervision of Prof. Buz Barstow in
the Department of Biological and Environmental Engineering at Cornell
University with a proven track record in microbiology, with a particular
focus on the isolation, cultivation, and genetic manipulation of non-model
micro-organisms (the weirder the better). Additional preferred skills
include high-throughput screening, computation, electronics fabrication,
and advanced genetic manipulation tools. *Requirements:* - A Ph.D. in
microbiology or closed field, proficiency in science communication (written
and oral) with evidence of peer review publications.* Assets: *Ability to
contribute to an inclusive working environment, including interaction with
researchers at all levels in our lab. Applications for this position must
be submitted using the following link:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/26595__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!cADpRsNGr50sxzrfNE8gJMwF0vM51dVJbjcKwRPmOiI7HcejY5qHdZ-fiIZ-7epqQN-vgc26cuxK9yBv$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/26595__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!bSJ-bHJbq524Btq9wSF2FuMCKd0bnuQVxB8A261rlsSyX3pWMmFnCI1VvwGKiyM3s3LzOWPCxGVKtKBsMYb3NA$>

2.   A postdoctoral associate/research associate (depending on years of
experience) under the supervision of Prof. Esteban Gazel at the Department
of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at Cornell University, with proven
research on Earth materials processes and expertise in bulk (e.g., XRF,
XRD, ICP-MS) and in-situ (SEM/EMPA/TEM, LA-ICP-MS, Raman/FTIR) mineral
characterization techniques. Their task will involve the characterization
of feedstocks that will be used before and after bioleaching experiments,
evaluating the record physiochemical processes of mineral-microbe
interactions in the experimental residues, and conducting mass balance,
efficiency assessment, and optimization. *Requirements:* - A Ph.D. in Earth
or Material sciences, proficiency in science communication (written and
oral) with evidence of peer review publications.* Assets: *Ability to
contribute to an inclusive working environment, including interaction with
researchers at all levels in our lab. Applications for this position must
be submitted using the following link:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/26595__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!cADpRsNGr50sxzrfNE8gJMwF0vM51dVJbjcKwRPmOiI7HcejY5qHdZ-fiIZ-7epqQN-vgc26cuxK9yBv$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/26595__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!bSJ-bHJbq524Btq9wSF2FuMCKd0bnuQVxB8A261rlsSyX3pWMmFnCI1VvwGKiyM3s3LzOWPCxGVKtKBsMYb3NA$>

Submitted applications require the following documents: 1) CV; 2) short
(two pages) statement of research interests in line with the project; 3)
names and contact information for three references. Review of applications
will begin on December 15, 2023. For more information about these
positions, contact Prof. Esteban Gazel at egazel@xxxxxxxxxxx  or Prof. Buz
Barstrow at bmb35@xxxxxxxxxxx

4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4