IAVCEI Tephra Hazard Modelling Commission: the Ashvances in Tephra Seminar Series, first seminar Sept 26!

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

From: Thomas Aubry <thom.aubry@xxxxxxxxx>

Dear colleagues,

We are thrilled to announce a new venture for the IAVCEI Tephra Hazard
Modelling Commission: the *Ashvances in Tephra Seminar Series (ATSS). *Do
you have a story to tell about tephra hazard? Then we want to hear it.

We anticipate that this virtual seminar series will take place every
quarter (c.3 months) depending on interest and will last for about an hour.
Each quarter, two speakers will be allocated 15-20-minute talks with 5-10
minutes for questions. The last 10 minutes will be kept for general
discussions, e.g., how the Tephra Hazard Modelling Commission can serve you
better, and socializing/networking. At least one of the talks will be by an
early-career researcher, and we will use this seminar series to showcase
the work of researchers with backgrounds underrepresented in volcanology.
Time zones will be selected based on the location(s) of speakers and we
will aim to rotate these as much as possible to reach audience members from
across the globe and give everyone an equal and fair chance to participate
in the seminars. We aim that by having two talks per seminar, each session
will cover multiple topics, including but not limited to numerical
modelling, field studies, laboratory experiments and risk
communication/management. Please use this form
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://forms.gle/z7LB3TJDWauD3qCs6__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!ZZv06ERUb2tw9zv8lIpqRsm_hToKuD8_X2L_2gyS6-kC61Fum4BEiirubT0adychEp0qxVwFQ_JF3E-Y$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://forms.gle/z7LB3TJDWauD3qCs6__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!ZYbhk9h-Mu55gmuoIMwvyIC8M7kzQzsnRi4gp6yn6R6g390Oz7FTA4cXbI5RMdelaV_WHtdXISDx-y_Zhg$>
register your interest in being a speaker or suggest a student/colleague.
We particularly encourage (self-) nomination of diverse and early career
scientists.

Our first online ATSS seminar will take place on Tuesday 26th September at
16:00 UTC. You can join via Microsoft Teams using this link
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.google.com/url?q=https:**Ateams.microsoft.com*l*meetup-join*19*253ameeting_YjgyZmYyNTYtNjgzMy00ZWEzLThkY2MtZGFlZjMxNzgyMzZi*2540thread.v2*0*context*3D*257b*2522Tid*2522*253a*2522912a5d77-fb98-4eee-af32-1334d8f04a53*2522*252c*2522Oid*2522*253a*25226545a20b-9dcc-4b20-a342-7f12159dda79*2522*257d&sa=D&source=calendar&usd=2&usg=AOvVaw0rBGy4rJRmX6E9j7gib6wC__;Ly8vLy8lJS8_JSUlJSUlJSUlJSUlJSU!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!ZYbhk9h-Mu55gmuoIMwvyIC8M7kzQzsnRi4gp6yn6R6g390Oz7FTA4cXbI5RMdelaV_WHtdXISCH67d3sQ$>.
Our first two speakers are (abstract at the end of email):

*Costanza Bonadonna, President of IAVCEI and Professor of Volcanology at
University of Geneva *- "Tephra sedimentation and grainsize associated with
the 2021 Tajogaite eruption of Cumbre Vieja (La Palma, Canary Islands,
Spain)"

*Liam Kelly, PhD student at Vanderbilt University *- "Airfall volume of the
15 January 2022 eruption of Hunga volcano estimated from ocean color
changes"

We look forward to seeing many of you on Tuesday 26th September and to
welcoming interest from some great speakers for future seminars. Please
donâ??t forget that you can sign-up to our commission and mailing list
anytime at this link
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=IAVCEITHM&A=1__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!ZYbhk9h-Mu55gmuoIMwvyIC8M7kzQzsnRi4gp6yn6R6g390Oz7FTA4cXbI5RMdelaV_WHtdXISByX8UyVQ$>
.

All the best,

Alastair, Paul and Thomas

Co-chairs of IAVCEIâ??s Tephra Hazard Modelling Commission

*Costanza's abstract: *The 2021 hybrid Tajogaite eruption of Cumbre Vieja
(La Palma) was mainly effusive, with >70 % of volume erupted as lava and
simultaneous explosive activity of variable eruptive styles depositing a
widespread tephra blanket. Rapid gas segregation and high magma ascent rate
modulated the gas flux at the different vents resulting in short-time
fluctuations amongst the different eruptive styles and unsteady tephra
ground accumulation. Even though the total grainsize distributions of
selected layers, units and of the whole tephra blanket are unimodal,
various sedimentation processes were observed including particle
aggregation and different types of sedimentation features (e.g., lapilli
waves, ash fingers). The analysis of the Tajogaite eruption dynamics
highlights the challenges of risk and crisis management associated with
long-lasting basaltic pulsatory hybrid eruptions.

*Liam's abstract: *On 15 January 2022, Hunga volcano erupted, creating an
extensive and high-reaching umbrella cloud over the open ocean, hindering
traditional isopach mapping and fallout volume estimation. In MODIS
satellite imagery, ocean surface water was discolored around Hunga
following the eruption, which we attribute to ash fallout from the umbrella
cloud. By relating intensity of ocean discoloration to fall deposit
thicknesses in the Kingdom of Tonga, we develop a methodology for
estimating airfall volume over the open ocean. Ash thickness measurements
from 41 locations are used to fit a linear relationship between ash
thickness and ocean reflectance. This produces an airfall volume estimate
of ~1.7 km3. The whole eruption produced >10 km3 of pyroclastic units on
the sea floor. Our fall estimates suggest that these must be dominated by
gravity current deposits. This new ocean-discoloration method provides an
airfall volume estimate consistent with other independent measures of the
plume and is thus effective for rapidly estimating fallout volumes in
future eruptions of volcanoes over oceans.

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1