CoV12 session announcement: theme 1, 101 > Volcanic Material in Civil Engineering: A Sustainable Approach to Volcano-Driven Development

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

From: Matteo Roverato <matteo.roverato@xxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,
We would like to draw your attention to the next  *Cities on Volcanoes 12* held
in Antigua, *Guatemala, in February 2024.*
We kindly invite you to submit your works to our fascinating session, which
links Volcanology, Architecture, Materials Science, and Civil Engineering

101 (Theme 1) > *Volcanic Material in Civil Engineering: A Sustainable
Approach to Volcano-Driven Development*

Volcanoes have shaped our planetâ??s history and continue to influence our
environment nowadays. Despite their destructive capacity, volcanoes can be
also a source of assets and benefits for the sustainable development of our
society. Historically, humans have learned how to take advantage of
volcanic products, one of them, undoubtedly, is the use of volcanic rocks
for building constructions. Case studies of successful construction
projects in different parts of the world, as well as discussions on the
challenges and opportunities of applying volcanic material in different
geographical and cultural contexts, have been presented in several
scientific contributions as well as, in architecture and engineering
journals.
In this session, we will explore the exploitation and the use of volcanic
material in civil works to take advantage of the resources that volcanoes
can provide. We will discuss historical technics and the advances in
research and construction practices using volcanic material. In addition,
we will highlight how the use of volcanic material in civil works can boost
development in communities near volcanoes, including job creation and
infrastructure improvement.
This session encourages contributions from different and complementary
disciplines including volcanology, civil engineering, and architecture. We
are also eager to include a perspective from the local community on how the
use of volcanic material in civil works has had a positive impact on their
development. Presentations will include a discussion on the ancient (in
archeological and historical time) and current state of the use of volcanic
material in civil works, examples of successful projects, and discussion on
the challenges and opportunities in the use of this natural resource as a
sustainable solution for development, and how it can be used effectively to
improve the lives of communities near volcanoes.

Conveners: Maurizio Mulas, Matteo Roverato, Jorge Estuardo Bustillos
Arequipa
Contact: mmulas@xxxxxxxxxxxx

*Deadline for abstract submission: October 8, 2023*

See you in Guatemala!

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1