CoV12 Session 425- Emergency strategies at the frontiers of understanding: embracing new worlds from artificial intelligence to social media

4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4

From: Enrica Marotta <enrica.marotta@xxxxxxx>

Dear colleagues,

I would like to invite you to consider submitting an abstract to our
session at the next â??Cities on Volcanoes 12â??, that will be held in Antigua
Guatemala on  February 11-17, 2024:

*Session 425*- Emergency strategies at the frontiers of understanding:
embracing new worlds from artificial intelligence to social media.

*Convener*: Annamaria Vicari (Italy, INGV), Enrica Marotta (Italy, INGV),
Christopher Kilburn (UK, University College London), Roberto Moretti
(Italy, Università della Campania), Luca Dâ??Auria (ES,Instituto
Volcanológico de Canarias), Mario Tomasone (Italy, Servizios-Società di
Ingegneria)

*Description*

The last 20 years have seen significant growths in the scientific
understanding of volcanoes, the capability of information technology and
the use of social media. Among the most dramatic changes are the rise of
artificial intelligence and the mining of big data, which are opening new
opportunities for raising awareness of volcanic hazards, for designing
hazard and risk scenarios, and for co-designing the most suitable
strategies for responding to volcanic emergencies. The speed of change,
however, can leave operational procedures lagging behind the latest
innovations. As a result, established emergency strategies risk becoming
outdated with respect to new knowledge, especially at volcanoes that erupt
infrequently, when it is all too easy to maintain the same strategy until
the lack of preparedness is abruptly revealed by a new emergency.

Our session will focus on how we can best maintain preparedness while a
volcano is tranquil. Our goal is to compare and integrate the perceptions
of all those involved in transforming new knowledge into operational
procedures, including data gatherers, operational managers and the
recipients of warnings. Thus, on the one hand, how can we can explain and
make accessible the latest techniques for the acquisition, transmission,
storage, and treatment of monitoring data (from ground-based sensors to
satellites) and, on the other, how can we use the information to co-design
with end-users (from the public to civil protection and political agencies)
response procedures that are practical and effective under the stress of a
crisis? We welcome insights from participants with a broad spectrum of
experience, whether scientific or non-scientific, for a session of lively
and thought-provoking discussion.

The deadline for abstract submission is 8 October 2023.

Please consult the website https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://congress.iavceivolcano.org/__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!fabXZLmpSbOQrSuLTc_OQg84ODDXPDweQr8ZwsY_h_B6Czzs9f7u8jL1Job2P5eVPiQcFRTCJ6Ha8lmM$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://congress.iavceivolcano.org/__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!cjE8tnmiOL-M8FySypYXXJI6x1TuTt8MRmQwSRwQAiSQFLx4VvReY0jGeZL9_gRyomethdIkk7pP24ivbWYEKGgN$>

4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4

Volcano Listserv is a collaborative venture among Arizona State University
(ASU), Portland State University (PSU), the Global Volcanism Program (GVP)
of the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of Natural History, and
the International Association for Volcanology and Chemistry of the Earth's
Interior (IAVCEI).

ASU - http://www.asu.edu/

PSU - https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://pdx.edu/__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!fabXZLmpSbOQrSuLTc_OQg84ODDXPDweQr8ZwsY_h_B6Czzs9f7u8jL1Job2P5eVPiQcFRTCJ3kGVTTA$

GVP - https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://volcano.si.edu/__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!fabXZLmpSbOQrSuLTc_OQg84ODDXPDweQr8ZwsY_h_B6Czzs9f7u8jL1Job2P5eVPiQcFRTCJwMv8Irt$

IAVCEI - https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.iavceivolcano.org/__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!fabXZLmpSbOQrSuLTc_OQg84ODDXPDweQr8ZwsY_h_B6Czzs9f7u8jL1Job2P5eVPiQcFRTCJynjuYIu$

signoff volcano

to: listserv@xxxxxxx, or write to: volcano-request@xxxxxxx.

volcano@xxxxxxx.  Please do not send attachments.

End of Volcano Digest - 1 Sep 2023 to 5 Sep 2023 (#2023-84)