Fall AGU Volcanology Symposium: Volcano Science and Volcano Crises: Success Stories and Balancing Act

3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3

From: "Houghton, Bruce" <bhought@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues

We are inviting contributions to a Fall AGU Symposium entitled *Volcano
Science and Volcano Crises: Success Stories and Balancing Acts*. We want
presentations of BOTH the exciting science emerging from recent eruptions
and the issues that arise during volcanic crises that, in many cases, can
be mitigated between eruptions.

*Abstract Deadline is August 2, 2023*

*Session description:*

Eruptions can have devastating economic and social consequences, even at
great distances from the volcano. Even moderate-sized eruptions have
profoundly impacted communities and will have changed landscapes for
decades, as seen at KÄ«lauea in 2018 and Cumbre Vieja/Tajogaite in 2021. Many
major advances in fundamental understanding of both eruption dynamics
and sub-surface
behavior of magma have followed. There is an inherent balance to be
observed between curiosity-driven science and the needs of the agencies
tasked with emergency response. We will discuss how science responses
before, during, and after eruptions can be optimized to simultaneously
improve fundamental understanding of volcanic systems and aid in emergency
response through accurate forecasts of current and future eruptions.

*Conveners:* Bruce Houghton, Michelle Coombs, Einat Lev, Kendra Lynn,
Michael Manga, Caroline Tisdale

3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3

Volcano Listserv is a collaborative venture among Arizona State University
(ASU), Portland State University (PSU), the Global Volcanism Program (GVP)
of the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of Natural History, and
the International Association for Volcanology and Chemistry of the Earth's
Interior (IAVCEI).

ASU - http://www.asu.edu/

PSU - https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://pdx.edu/__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!eV1MSIh5202RoRhT3GrcVNRU2D7T88Rfds8A285wmrxnAkklOA3GMxdWYLphv5femHSi2MKEP5puO-L6$

GVP - https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://volcano.si.edu/__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!eV1MSIh5202RoRhT3GrcVNRU2D7T88Rfds8A285wmrxnAkklOA3GMxdWYLphv5femHSi2MKEP-3IxFLo$

IAVCEI - https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.iavceivolcano.org/__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!eV1MSIh5202RoRhT3GrcVNRU2D7T88Rfds8A285wmrxnAkklOA3GMxdWYLphv5femHSi2MKEP1FWK0zT$

signoff volcano

to: listserv@xxxxxxx, or write to: volcano-request@xxxxxxx.

volcano@xxxxxxx.  Please do not send attachments.

End of Volcano Digest - 21 Jun 2023 to 23 Jun 2023 (#2023-62)