Goldschmidt 2023 Session 5b: Dynamics and timescales in magmatic reservoirs, conduits and dikes

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

From: Yishen Zhang <yishen.zhang@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear all,

We would like to bring to your attention the *session 5b* in Goldschmidt
2023:

*Dynamics and timescales in magmatic reservoirs, conduits and dikes.*

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://conf.goldschmidt.info/goldschmidt/2023/meetingapp.cgi/Session/4602__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!Yb9_6ReTbIRIlZyiYPEXjKaY8xRcJ7i481-CeG0wgLQzKr-BpEm9Xu8jnKN0HYZdHVyJXSoAggy3WEaL$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://conf.goldschmidt.info/goldschmidt/2023/meetingapp.cgi/Session/4602__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!cU8EyrPpM2dDbkpSsN7XxMYCbHge-UVuh3pXMrbatS0X0Rfd8uklJeCLIBm1WglgkjcVPvsOG_PCbBM0I05vqfR4cAqGUg$>

Keynote speaker: Prof Olivier Bachmann (ETH)

Invited speaker: Dr Euan Mutch (Lamont Doherty Earth Observatory).

The deadline for the submission in *1st March (23:59 CET)*

*************************************

Investigating the dynamics and timescales of magmatic processes is key to
understanding the storage, emplacement, ascent, mobility and eruptibility
of volcanic plumbing systems. This in turn provides insights to enable
characterization of volcanic hazards and to inform governmental agencies
who develop mitigation strategies. During the last few decades, our
knowledge of volcanic systems has evolved such that we now know the
activity of volcanoes is governed by a combination of non-linear dynamics
and timescales. These are explicitly recorded in processes such as
dissolution, diffusive re-equilibration in crystal mush within magma
reservoirs, mineral and volatile exsolution, crystal growth morphology, and
rheological transitions during magma ascent within conduits and dikes. A
thorough understanding of the interplay between crystallization kinetics
involving undercooling, rapid crystallization, mixing, decompression,
degassing and the quantification of the timescales of these processes is
fundamental to understand and model non-linear and complex physico-chemical
processes.

In this session, we aim to bring together studies that investigate the
dynamic nature of magmatic processes both in the laboratory and in nature,
and we welcome multidisciplinary contributions from mineralogy, petrology,
geochemistry and numerical modelling, to further our understanding of magma
dynamics, development and evolution of plumbing systems.

We look forwarding to seeing you in Lyon!

On behalf of the conveners:

Yishen Zhang, Charline Lormand, Fabio Arzilli, Maurizio Petrelli

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1