GSA-NorthCentral: Abstract reminder--Petrology Sessions

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

From: "Michelfelder, Gary" <GaryMichelfelder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello-

We have about one week left to submit abstracts for the North Central
Section Meeting of the Geological Society of America in Grand Rapids,
Michigan from May4-5!

We would like to remind you about all the great Petrology-based sessions
being offered this year and invite you and/or your students to submit an
abstract! The session welcome submissions from all levels, so please share
broadly with students and collaborators who might be interested!
Submissions are due *February 7 at 11:59 PM*.

Here are the session descriptions:

*T23. **Undergraduate and Graduate Geoscience Student Showcase**:* This
session will highlight research from students in a hybrid oral-poster
format. Although presenters will submit only one abstract for this
session, *they
will prepare two presentations* (i.e., a three-minute lightning talk in the
morning session; a poster for the afternoon session). This will offer
student presenters with multiple opportunities to practice a variety of
science communication techniques.

**Endorsed by GSA Energy Geology Division; GSA Marine and Coastal
Geoscience Division; Council on Undergraduate Research Geosciences Division*

*T25. Future Directions in Mineralogy and Petrology: *A Session for
Undergraduate and Graduate Researchers: This session aims to enhance
communication and collaboration among early career researchers, especially
undergraduate and graduate students. This session will highlight innovative
and interdisciplinary work to provide fresh perspectives, new ideas, and
creative answers to mineralogical and petrologic problems. We welcome
submissions from all areas of mineralogy and  petrology.

*T28. Critical Minerals in North-Central United States: Exploration,
Mining, and Processing*: For the economic prosperity and national defense
of the United States, a consistent supply of critical minerals is
essential. The U.S. Geological Survey has identified 50 â??critical mineralsâ??
that are essential to economic or national security and have supply chains
that are vulnerable to disruption. A number of critical minerals are known
to exist in the North-Central U.S., but they have either not been
adequately identified by exploration or require new technology in order to
make their production economic. This session focuses on innovative
exploration techniques to discover these deposits, and on novel mining and
processing methods to make critical mineral businesses profitable in the
north-central U.S.

*T29. Reading the Record of Tectonic Processes through Diverse
Investigations of Igneous and Metamorphic Rocks*: Magmatism and
metamorphism are the processes by which Earth has differentiated and
changed through time. The record of these changes is stored in igneous and
metamorphic rocks. We seek abstracts that use diverse datasets to evaluate
the history of igneous and metamorphic rocks and the tectonic processes
that they record.

*T30. Granites and Rhyolites as a Record of Crustal Magmatic Processes: *Felsic
magmatism, both in the crust and on the surface, have a wide range of magma
sources and processes representing the diversity of crustal igneous
systems. We seek contributions investigating the complexities of crustal
magmatism. Contributions exploring processes, time scales, and ore-related
deposits related to granites and rhyolites are particularly welcome.

It is shaping up to be a great meeting and wonderful opportunity to bring
folks together from across our midwestern petrology, mineralogy, and
tectonics community. We hope to see you and your students there!

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.geosociety.org/GSA/Events/Section_Meetings/GSA/Sections/nc/2023mtg/home.aspx__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!aXc7cfC_CMoi-7Ad3fKzldbO7NWBjZg-ebolh24HUJWN8SPLveeQTUNkYn9Fre9mpSUmOqVN-FBvCxSk$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.geosociety.org/GSA/Events/Section_Meetings/GSA/Sections/nc/2023mtg/home.aspx__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!bMm3JH5ZxbV_UzZwuLr6MP3_hYRphKez4Bkay9InZDXmC9NdvXM5teC23YiNkLA9XT1cr2gZmeQSgoK7VjGho-gGeO_n5ycxrg$>

On behalf of the session convenors,

Gary

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1