SSA23 Special Session - Volcanic Hazards

3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3

From: "McCausland, Wendy" <wmccausland@xxxxxxxx>

Dear Volcano Seismology Community:

Given the significant problem that volcanoes in the Caribbean pose, we have
organized a special session for the SSA 2023 meeting in San Juan, Puerto
Rico, designed to address monitoring and hazard assessment from this very
real threat.  We invite relevant contributions to the following special
session (not limited to Caribbean volcanoes):

Seismology's Role in Assessing Volcanic Hazard at Multiple Time Scales

Dangerous volcanoes not only pose an ongoing threat to nearby settlements,
but also to regional economies and global connectivity. Inter-eruption
repose periods vary by orders of magnitude and can directly impact the
perceived monitoring requirements. Seismology has always been arguably the
greatest monitoring tool during active eruption cycles, but can also
contribute to change detection in times of repose, offering a potential
alarm bell well in advance of a new eruptive cycle. We invite contributions
of your research into volcanic seismicity at all time scales, in the
context of contributing to interdisciplinary, dynamic hazard assessments
for volcanoes of concern.

Conveners:
Charlotte A. Rowe, Los Alamos National Laboratory, char@xxxxxxxx;
Francisco Nunez-Cornu, Universidad de Guadalajara, pacornu77@xxxxxxxxx;
Glenn Thompson, University of SouthFlorida, thompsong@xxxxxxx;
Jolante van Wijk, Los Alamos National Laboratory, jolantevanwijk@xxxxxxxx;
Wendy McCausland, U.S. Geological Survey, wmccausland@xxxxxxxx

We look forward to seeing you in Puerto Rico!

3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3