2023 EGU - Permanent gas emissions in volcanic areas – a silent hazard - call for abstracts

5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5

From: "Maria FB. Viveiros" <Maria.FB.Viveiros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear all,

We would like to draw your attention to an EGU session related with the
volcanic gases and the permanent risk they may constitute in volcanic areas.

In order to promote fruitful discussions on the topic, we warmly invite you
to submit an abstract to our session at the 2023 EGU General Assembly
(Vienna, Austria, 23-28 April 2023).

NH2

*Permanent gas emissions in volcanic areas â?? a silent hazard*

Co-organized by GMPV9

Convener: Fátima Viveiros | Co-conveners: Nemesio M. Pérez, Claire
Horwell, Diana Linhares

Abstract submission
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU23/abstractsubmission/45052__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!a-7QELKlkteNplg2_M7WJ2FlQNQaDxWytP-JVrqsoqRG7e9evBXFN-oKPeYwfKtXRafX2Vv6wvTdkTYwBwapjKQwXYl1BDPa$>

Volcanic gas emissions can constitute a permanent hazard in volcanic areas
not only during eruptions, but also in post-eruptive and quiescent periods.
Carbon dioxide is one of the main hazardous volcanic gases due to its
characteristics (odourless, invisible, density higher than air at STP) and
asphyxiate effect. However, we highlight also the presence of other gases,
such as hydrogen sulphide and radon. In fact, several incidents with gases have
been reported both indoor and outdoor in various countries during
non-eruptive periods: USA, Argentina, Italy, Portugal, Greece, Congo, and
Indonesia, just to give some examples.
High CO2 concentrations have been recently detected in some villages in La
Palma (Canary Islands) and Vulcano (Italy) posing a threat to population
and restricting the access to dwellings. We aim at contributions that show
strategies to monitor, prevent and manage these silent hazards, which are
quite challenging. Development of new sensors and study cases are welcome.

For further details on our session and to submit an abstract, please click:

CO Meeting Organizer EGU23 (copernicus.org)
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU23/session/45052__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!a-7QELKlkteNplg2_M7WJ2FlQNQaDxWytP-JVrqsoqRG7e9evBXFN-oKPeYwfKtXRafX2Vv6wvTdkTYwBwapjKQwXVjZYuS4$>

*The abstract submission deadline is 10 January 2023, 13:00 CET.*

Any abstract on the topic is welcome!

Kind regards,

Fátima Viveiros

Nemesio Pérez