EGU 2023 session GMPV8.2 on volcano deformation modeling

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

From: Sam Poppe <sampoppe@xxxxxxxxxx>

Dear colleagues,

we would like to invite you to submit an abstract to our new session
"GMPV8.2: Building the next generation of realistic models of magma
propagation and volcano deformation" to be held at the EGU 2023 Assembly in
April 2023 in Vienna. Please submit before 10th of January 2023 here:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://egu23.eu/programme/how_to_submit.html__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!cvEcA_61ViIuO_mhbRNS8EGY_FFkuNSuZAgsu3xsMSX-ajpuXXo6R1tOCoTF9liVOwjZkRSd2md72knI$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://egu23.eu/programme/how_to_submit.html__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!bu6my5SJ8fmog6jwB_nrhh7jdTebGolXTVqUrqvUPSWHFB7LEvURtK3BFB8nhjfBWZNEUffXkGHub18bq7_e$>

We aim to organize a focused discussion on exciting paths forward in
modelling of volcano deformation induced by magma propagation, among other
processes, and how we can further introduce complexities that may have
little understood effects on the accuracy of the models that serve as input
for studying the long-term behavior of volcanic plumbing systems and
short-term eruption forecasts.

This session aligns with session "V12: Toward realistic modelling of
volcano deformation" at the IUGG 23 assembly in Berlin, Germany in July
2023, for which abstract submission is open until 14 February 2023:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.iugg2023berlin.org/abstract-submission/__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!cvEcA_61ViIuO_mhbRNS8EGY_FFkuNSuZAgsu3xsMSX-ajpuXXo6R1tOCoTF9liVOwjZkRSd2s9C0GLS$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.iugg2023berlin.org/abstract-submission/__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!bu6my5SJ8fmog6jwB_nrhh7jdTebGolXTVqUrqvUPSWHFB7LEvURtK3BFB8nhjfBWZNEUffXkGHub5hHVvDZ$>

We describe the session's motivation further in an EGU GMPV blog post:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://blogs.egu.eu/divisions/gmpv/2022/11/30/gmpv82/__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!cvEcA_61ViIuO_mhbRNS8EGY_FFkuNSuZAgsu3xsMSX-ajpuXXo6R1tOCoTF9liVOwjZkRSd2jtRj9-q$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://blogs.egu.eu/divisions/gmpv/2022/11/30/gmpv82/__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!bu6my5SJ8fmog6jwB_nrhh7jdTebGolXTVqUrqvUPSWHFB7LEvURtK3BFB8nhjfBWZNEUffXkGHubzInvaxB$>

Please do spread this message further in your networks so we can secure an
inspiring session slot in Vienna!

Best regards,

Sam Poppe, Claire Harnett and Tim Davis

***session description***

In this session we will review and discuss the latest magma propagation and
ground deformation models. The data collected at active volcanoes is
rapidly increasing in quality; there has been an explosion in
high-resolution geodetic and seismic data that captures magma movement and
storage conditions in the subsurface. It is becoming routine to fit ground
deformation and seismic signals of such events using static models,
typically with constant opening or piece-wise static deformation sources in
homogeneous elastic half-spaces. Simple fitting of such models lacks
predictive power about what will happen to the system next and provides
little insight into the physics of the system. Mechanical modelling can
answer how such intrusions develop through time, can help investigate the
processes controlling where and when magma erupts and can quantify the
influence of mechanical complexities and when these should be considered.
Such models are typically theoretical, but due to rapid increases in the
data quality of magmatic events we can begin to test the predictive power
of these models.

We welcome contributions across numerical and laboratory modelling,
physical volcanology, planetary geology, geodesy and geophysics that focus
on building and informing cutting art mechanical models of magma-induced
deformation by:

- simulating more realistic rheologies and mechanical heterogeneities from
rock testing, geophysical measurements or geological field observation
- exploring limitations of typical model assumptions by comparing and
integrating field/experimental/numerical methods
- developing new modelling applications that simulate previously
unconstrained mechanics and dynamic propagation
- developing dedicated 3D modelling approaches
- using AI or machine learning to analyse model sensitivities in large data
sets

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU23/session/45195__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!cvEcA_61ViIuO_mhbRNS8EGY_FFkuNSuZAgsu3xsMSX-ajpuXXo6R1tOCoTF9liVOwjZkRSd2rRxojyO$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/egu23/sessionprogramme*__;Iw!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!bu6my5SJ8fmog6jwB_nrhh7jdTebGolXTVqUrqvUPSWHFB7LEvURtK3BFB8nhjfBWZNEUffXkGHub0PciaAl$>

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2