EGU Session: Volcanic hydrothermal alteration and fluid-rock interactions

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

From: Claire Harnett <claire.e.harnett@xxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to encourage you to submit to *Volcanic hydrothermal
alteration and fluid-rock interactions (GMPV 5.4)
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU23/session/45164__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!dsGCdXqioZcFZyE4Uz01XhVc5Ft0wjHP8de5ho7XG1wgeITgx_xGN49A6kZrF4CgMAbpvur-zDbrDl7NKWjGaKWl2g$>*
at
the EGU General Assembly, 23 - 28 April 2023 (https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.egu23.eu__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!ayWZDb7xsGGTekAYQ2dz-PelglyA8w058BKj3uTH4DKel7Ext8w9v408-Ny66_Yi4pVXFfw3akdef-hS$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.egu23.eu__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!dsGCdXqioZcFZyE4Uz01XhVc5Ft0wjHP8de5ho7XG1wgeITgx_xGN49A6kZrF4CgMAbpvur-zDbrDl7NKWhZPoU3zg$>
).

The deadline for abstracts is 10 January 2023. A session description is
provided for your interest below. We hope to see you in Vienna!

Claire Harnett, Mike Heap, Alexandra Kushnir, Thomas Walter & Marlène
Villenueve
*Session description: Hydrothermal systems exert crucial influence on
volcanic hazards. For example, hydrothermal alteration can reduce the
strength of edifice- and dome-forming rocks, increasing the likelihood of
volcano spreading and flank collapse, and high pore pressures that develop
within hydrothermal systems can promote phreatic/phreatomagmatic explosions
and further increase volcano instability. On the other hand, hydrothermal
systems also offer the opportunity to exploit minerals of economic
interest, and their heat can be harnessed to produce energy. A detailed
understanding of hydrothermal systems, fluid-rock interactions in
hydrothermal systems, and the resulting effects of alteration, using
multidisciplinary studies, is required to better anticipate the hazards
posed, to exploit the economic opportunities they provide, and to execute
engineering design. We invite diverse contributions dedicated to the
characterisation, imaging, monitoring, and hazard/economic assessment of
volcanic hydrothermal systems and associated fluid-rock interactions.
Contributions can be based on fieldwork, laboratory work, modelling, or a
combination of these approaches. Because understanding hydrothermal systems
requires multidisciplinary, collaborative teamwork, we welcome
contributions based on any subdiscipline (e.g., geology, geophysics,
geochemistry, engineering) and using any technique or method (e.g.,
geological mapping, magnetic, gravity, and spectroscopic methods,
laboratory experiments, gas monitoring, numerical modelling). It goes
without saying that we hope to have a diverse session in terms of both
speakers and audience.*

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1