New book release: "The Blessings of Disaster: The Lessons That Catastrophes Teach Us and Why Our Future Depends on It"

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

From: Michel Bruneau <bruneau@xxxxxxxxxxx>

A new book by *Michel Bruneau* (SUNY Distinguished Professor, University at
Buffalo), *The Blessings of Disaster: The Lessons That Catastrophes Teach
Us and Why Our Future Depends on It*
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://rowman.com/ISBN/9781633888234/The-Blessings-of-Disaster-The-Lessons-That-Catastrophes-Teach-Us-and-Why-Our-Future-Depends-on-It__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!c86r7YbvAbq5fgS98Ulnn88Aa04WaKXGIayubRlf3Fp_i3wNhYzw2-kl93Um1NPfwk23HyP-nNtpgKg9__4$>,
has been published on November 8th.  While the book targets a general
public, it will also be of interest to scientists interested in volcanic
eruptions, landslides, mudflows and avalanches.  The book has received
strong positive endorsements from professionals in various
disciplines, and Publishers
Weekly (known as â??the bible of the book businessâ??) summed it up as â??an
engrossing study of human complacency, myopia, and faulty risk perception
on a grand scaleâ?? (https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.publishersweekly.com/9781633888234__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!ZiixnzAcoACvEY8vvmEKNxDcAXznNrFJhp26dI1m6bu4vxCwC-fRod-Dq3zxEEnlHFw5mZJE-jhPYkBe$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.publishersweekly.com/9781633888234__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!c86r7YbvAbq5fgS98Ulnn88Aa04WaKXGIayubRlf3Fp_i3wNhYzw2-kl93Um1NPfwk23HyP-nNtp2IxnO3I$>
).

In an entertaining and often counter-intuitive way, *The Blessings of
Disaster* draws on Bruneauâ??s decades-long career to examine how societies
confront natural and technological hazards, ranging from earthquakes,
hurricanes, terror attacks, and pandemics, and how this could predict how
we will deal with climate change, nuclear catastrophes, and other
existential threats. Bruneau marries technical explanations for a
generalist audience with perspectives from history and social science,
exploring the lessons learned from past disasters and presenting arguments
for how we can best mitigate current and future risksâ??as well as scenarios
for what is likely to happen when we fail. The book includes descriptions
of many disasters and discussions on the risk from many hazards, including
(when it comes to volcanos) from Mount Vesuvius, Sakurajima, Eldfell,
Paricutín, Eyjafjallajokull, and Mount Fuji. The book is available from
every major online bookseller. More information is also provided on the
author's website here
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://michelbruneau.com/TheBlessingsOfDisaster.htm__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!c86r7YbvAbq5fgS98Ulnn88Aa04WaKXGIayubRlf3Fp_i3wNhYzw2-kl93Um1NPfwk23HyP-nNtpHlbkqGU$>
.

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2