Multiple MS and PhD positions available at University of Nevada Reno

4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4

From: Philipp P Ruprecht <pruprecht@xxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

Weâ??re writing to advertise multiple, funded masters and PhD positions that
are available within the Department of Geological Sciences and Engineering
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.unr.edu/geology__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!eGHfdM0JH2nB2FTbd1idxklUIh9NSjm1qSbU_V5X8pa9uRAry9wlCuQt_iP0xdqjfYt_EQiTFE5aZAgdBy3GRA$>
at
the University of Nevada Reno (including positions with faculty at the Nevada
Bureau of Mines and Geology
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https*3A*2F*2Fnbmg.unr.edu*2F&data=05*7C01*7Cpruprecht*40unr.edu*7C65d1529368504e93ddbd08daa71679d7*7C523b4bfc0ebd4c03b2b96f6a17fd31d8*7C0*7C0*7C638006012229225321*7CUnknown*7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0*3D*7C3000*7C*7C*7C&sdata=8jXrb8Ivah5MtEDGCywOdiDpi0g0sfVn*2Foj54EKOTxc*3D&reserved=0__;JSUlJSUlJSUlJSUlJSUlJSUlJSUl!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!eGHfdM0JH2nB2FTbd1idxklUIh9NSjm1qSbU_V5X8pa9uRAry9wlCuQt_iP0xdqjfYt_EQiTFE5aZAhcrTHXmw$>).
All the available positions are listed online (
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.unr.edu/geology/graduate/faculty-seeking-graduate-students__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!ewHmWA54g2TWGXxB-pKq9u2ATmuPRMkl3WIvHmKKRacr-PncWx2gtjYERHk06L7mSbX5c0ybQAZ-gMO5$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.unr.edu/geology/graduate/faculty-seeking-graduate-students__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!eGHfdM0JH2nB2FTbd1idxklUIh9NSjm1qSbU_V5X8pa9uRAry9wlCuQt_iP0xdqjfYt_EQiTFE5aZAgJnw2XOw$>)
and include topics ranging from tectonics to metamorphism to firn
microstructure to flood hazard assessment and more. Please forward these
opportunities to any prospective students who you think may be interested.

Applications are due January 1, 2023, and information about applying to our
program is online at
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.unr.edu/geology/graduate/admissions-information__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!ewHmWA54g2TWGXxB-pKq9u2ATmuPRMkl3WIvHmKKRacr-PncWx2gtjYERHk06L7mSbX5c0ybQDBUxht-$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.unr.edu/geology/graduate/admissions-information__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!eGHfdM0JH2nB2FTbd1idxklUIh9NSjm1qSbU_V5X8pa9uRAry9wlCuQt_iP0xdqjfYt_EQiTFE5aZAi6U-Q0Ow$>;
note that* we do not require submission of a GRE score*, and *students can
use unofficial transcripts* during the application process (official
transcripts are only needed for students who choose to attend UNR). *We
encourage prospective students to contact potential advisers* to discuss
more details of the project *before the application deadline* (and weâ??ve
included some tips for sending these e-mails
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.unr.edu/geology/graduate/admissions-information/contacting-department-faculty__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!eGHfdM0JH2nB2FTbd1idxklUIh9NSjm1qSbU_V5X8pa9uRAry9wlCuQt_iP0xdqjfYt_EQiTFE5aZAgPvZuEfw$>
on
our website). We only admit students that have a faculty member that is
committed to advising the student and funding their research, so it is
important to reach out to faculty members to ensure they have funding
available.  Prospective students are also welcome to contact our Graduate
Director, Prof. Stacia Gordon (DGSEgraddirector@xxxxxxx), with more general
questions about the program.

Our department seeks to foster an environment where our students, faculty,
staff, alumni, and community members at large feel valued and welcome
within the department regardless of race, ethnicity, sexual orientation,
gender identity, religion, nationality, veteran status, socio-economic
status, political beliefs, physical or cognitive ability, and age. We have
a strong Code of Conduct
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.unr.edu/geology/code-of-conduct__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!eGHfdM0JH2nB2FTbd1idxklUIh9NSjm1qSbU_V5X8pa9uRAry9wlCuQt_iP0xdqjfYt_EQiTFE5aZAjoq_e2kw$>that
outlines the professional behavior expected of all members of our
department community, and we regularly report on our ongoing efforts to
increase equity, diversity, and justice
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.unr.edu/geology/commitment-to-diversity/goals-and-updates__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!eGHfdM0JH2nB2FTbd1idxklUIh9NSjm1qSbU_V5X8pa9uRAry9wlCuQt_iP0xdqjfYt_EQiTFE5aZAhertzSqg$>
.

The University Nevada Reno is situated in northern Nevada, along the
California border and offers a wealth of opportunities for field study and
outdoor recreation. In addition to access to the Basin and Range, Lake
Tahoe and the crest of the Sierra Nevada are a ~40 minute drive from
campus, Lassen Volcanic National Park and the southern terminus of the
Cascades are a ~2 hour drive, Yosemite is a ~3 hour drive, and the Pacific
Ocean and California Coast Range can be reached in ~4 hours. Reno has a
metro-area population of 490,000 and is seeing a large influx of young
professionals along with growth in cafes, eateries, bike paths, and
additional amenities that make for pleasant city life. The Reno-Tahoe
Airport is 10 minutes from campus and has non-stop flights to most major
cities Chicago and west.

4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4

Volcano Listserv is a collaborative venture among Arizona State University
(ASU), Portland State University (PSU), the Global Volcanism Program (GVP)
of the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of Natural History, and
the International Association for Volcanology and Chemistry of the Earth's
Interior (IAVCEI).

ASU - http://www.asu.edu/

PSU - https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://pdx.edu/__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!ewHmWA54g2TWGXxB-pKq9u2ATmuPRMkl3WIvHmKKRacr-PncWx2gtjYERHk06L7mSbX5c0ybQFUFQt-K$

GVP - https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.volcano.si.edu/__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!ewHmWA54g2TWGXxB-pKq9u2ATmuPRMkl3WIvHmKKRacr-PncWx2gtjYERHk06L7mSbX5c0ybQKeQnFQl$

IAVCEI - https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.iavceivolcano.org/__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!ewHmWA54g2TWGXxB-pKq9u2ATmuPRMkl3WIvHmKKRacr-PncWx2gtjYERHk06L7mSbX5c0ybQNJMBcpY$

signoff volcano

to: listserv@xxxxxxx, or write to: volcano-request@xxxxxxx.

volcano@xxxxxxx.  Please do not send attachments.

End of Volcano Digest - 5 Oct 2022 to 7 Oct 2022 (#2022-104)