IAVCEI 2023 Session--Volcanic surface flows: Linking processes to impacts

3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3

From: Pedro Doll <pedro.doll@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear collegues,

We would like to invite you to submit an abstract to our session â??*Volcanic
surface flows: Linking processes to impacts*â??, part of the symposium
â??Evaluating and communicating volcanic hazards and risksâ?? in the next
IAVCEI Conference.

Session Outline:

Volcanic flows (e.g. PDCs, debris avalanches, lahars, lava flows) are
complex, multiphase phenomena that vary on temporal and spatial scales and
that pose significant hazards to both life-safety and to the built
environment. Flow hazards can be described using various hazard intensity
metrics, such as temperature, velocity, density, and water content. The
relationship between multiple metrics is not always known, leading to a
tendency to treat each characteristic as independent when modelling.
Additionally, the relationship between these metrics and possible damage
must be established for accurate impact assessments. We solicit
contributions that seek to improve volcanic flow vulnerability models,
especially those that consider multiple hazard intensity metrics and/or
damage characteristics. We also welcome diverse (e.g. analogue, numerical,
theoretical, statistical, or field-based) process-focused studies that
support the development of such models. This symposium aims to prompt
discussions on approaches for linking process- and impact-focused studies
in the context of volcanic flows.

Abstract submission deadline is September 2nd, 2022

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://confer.eventsair.com/iavcei2023/call-for-abstracts__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!e-QWV9bft6R65b8eHDcXptlU8BNZ2BBWKz_HWTpIjtHOroqRIqA02YYyfvHwLxUz6KmtLd62P9xnKkmE$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/confer.eventsair.com/iavcei2023/call-for-abstracts__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!ZSOlewzcBHR8SCFTOdRlhVIaXrMDSQypj9ls48Bce3dUG-e3LgS1aTU1UPQghOaK2kinfjeSrQf--EGQ6Zqtzns$>

We look forward to receiving your abstracts, and hope to see many of you
next year!

Geoffrey Lerner, Lauren Schaefer, Sophia Tsang and Pedro Doll

3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3