IAVCEI 2023 session: Traditional Knowledge and its value in understanding past and present volcanism

4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4

From: "Handley, Heather (UT-ITC)" <h.k.handley@xxxxxxxxxx>

Dear colleagues,

We would like to invite you to submit an abstract to our session
"Traditional Knowledge and its value in understanding past and present
volcanism" for the 2023 IAVCEI conference which can be found under the
theme "Volcanoes and society: from Indigenous Peoples to a multicultural
world"

Session Outline
People have been living with volcanism for millennia. Prior to the advent
of literacy, knowledge of volcanic eruptions and their associated hazards
were communicated and passed down through generations via oral traditions.
The potential of traditional knowledge has been largely overlooked by
western science but is invaluable for developing a full understanding of
volcanic histories, their impacts on society and the environment, and the
effective communication of volcanic hazards. This session welcomes
contributions that integrate oral and scientific knowledge of volcanoes
from historical, anthropological and volcanological sources to enhance our
understanding of volcanic histories and contemporary management of volcanic
hazards.

Abstract submission deadline: September 2, 2022
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://confer.eventsair.com/iavcei2023/call-for-abstracts__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!YgD8TpyYLRpEsH-x3XjrMKv3Ia2U-mUdtkwwXJclV8xpxe6mPRkmsC9avUK4OkoDqd086QyT-SUmjjti$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://confer.eventsair.com/iavcei2023/call-for-abstracts__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!ZSOlewzcBHR8SCFTOdRlhVIaXrMDSQypj9ls48Bce3dUG-e3LgS1aTU1UPQghOaK2kinfjeSrQf--EGQ6Zqtzns$>

We look forward to receiving your abstracts and seeing you in New Zealand!

Karoly Nemeth, Heather Handley, Patrick Nunn

4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4