IAVCEI 2023 session on multidisciplinary approach to understand effusive-explosive mafic eruptions

4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4

From: "Moitra, Pranabendu - (pmoitra)" <pmoitra@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

Please consider submitting your work to our session â??Understanding effusive
to high intensity mafic explosive eruptions: Insights from field,
experiment and modelingâ?? at IAVCEI 2023 under the theme: Using field data,
geophysics, geochemistry, statistics, and modeling to probe volcanic and
plutonic systems.

*Description*:
Unlike their silicic counterparts, mafic eruptions are more often known for
being on the low end of the intensity spectrum of volcanic eruptions. Mafic
volcanism ranges from voluminous effusive lava flows to mildly explosive
Strombolian and Hawaiian to highly explosive Strombolian paroxysm,
subplinian and Plinian style eruptions. Rapid transition in eruption
dynamics is a common occurrence and poses a greater threat at volcanoes
that are exploited as touristic attractions due to their usually
predictable behavior. We have yet to fully understand the underlying
processes driving explosive eruptions and rapid transitions in eruption
styles at mafic volcanoes. How can nominally fluid, mafic magmas be
fragmented enough to generate a Plinian eruptive column and/or emplace
cubic kilometers of ignimbrites?

Quantitative field observations along with analysis of clast microtextures
provide evidence for the magmatic processes driving such variety in
eruption styles. This may depend on a combination of processes such as
magma vesiculation, crystallization and permeable outgassing as magma
ascends in a volcanic conduit during eruption. The rheological
characteristics of multiphase magma may play key roles in modulating
fragmentation mechanisms, eruption frequency, and intensity. Also, bubbles
in magma may form magmatic foam where the foam collapse and change in
eruption intensity may be explored and monitored using geophysical
techniques, such as the seismic and infrasound observations. In this
session, we invite innovative and multidisciplinary contributions utilizing
observational (imagery and textural analyses with an emphasis on microCT),
experimental, geochemical and numerical analyses along with geophysical
monitoring techniques that broadly investigate source-to-surface magma
transport and emplacement with a focus on the dynamic processes that lead
to the variations in eruption styles of mafic magma.

The abstract submission deadline is 2 September 2022. We look forward to
your contributions to our session.

With best regards,

Pranabendu Moitra, Olivier Bernard, Atsuko Namiki, Bruce Houghton, Melissa
Drignon, Rebecca Carrey

4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4