IAVCEI 2023 session: “Demystifying large caldera-forming eruptions, their build-up and associated unrest”

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

From: Darren Gravley <darren.gravley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

IAVCEI 2023 session:  We invite submissions to our session, â??*Demystifying
large caldera-forming eruptions, their build-up and associated unrest*â??

Considering the conference will be held inside the large Rotorua caldera,
this is a particularly topical session!

Submission deadline: September 2

Large collapse caldera-forming eruptions present a significant risk to
humans at a global scale. Such eruptions have only been recorded through
careful investigation of the pyroclastic deposits left behind, and in the
case of the extreme â??supervolcanicâ?? event, the last one to occur was in New
Zealand ~25 thousand years ago. The pursuit of understanding caldera
systems and the threat they pose to society have been ongoing for decades,
but in more recent years there have been significant strides in
characterizing collapse calderas through interdisciplinary geological,
petrological, geophysical, and numerical modelling research. In particular,
there has been an increasing focus on timescales of geologic and petrologic
processes associated with volcanic unrest, and innovative geophysical
techniques employed to monitor and image large restless calderas and their
magmatic plumbing systems. Both the scientific and societal importance of
caldera unrest research is apparent with several active multi-agency,
multi-national programmes focusing on large calderas worldwide (including
Aira, Santorini, Campi Flegrei and Taupo) and potential future calderas
(i.e. Laguna del Maule). We invite contributions focused on scientific
findings that can be used to better characterise the hazard and risk of a
future large collapse caldera-forming eruption. We would like to encourage
abstract submissions of an interdisciplinary nature and/or fit into the
following thematic categories:

   - Multicyclic calderas- evolution of the magma system before, during and
   after caldera-forming eruptions
   - Defining magma in an eruptible state
   - Architecture of shallow magma reservoirs or magma bodies
   - Crustal conditioning associated with enormous volumes of shallow magma
   - Timescales and processes (magmatic and/or tectonic) leading up to or
   initiating eruption (i.e. when does unrest become eruption?)
   - Defining and monitoring unrest through geophysical observations
   - Unravelling the duration (days, months, years, decades) of
   caldera-forming eruptions through careful field and laboratory observations

Darren Gravley, Guido Giordano, Guilherme Gualda, Craig Miller, Kari Cooper

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1