Nominations call for the 2023 George Walker Award and Wager Medal

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

From: Svatkova Denisa <svatkova@xxxxxxxxxx>

Dear IAVCEI members,

we inform you of the opening of the IAVCEI Call for Nominations to the
2023 GEORGE WALKER Award and the WAGER Medal which will be delivered during
our Scientific Assembly by January 2023 in Rotorua (NZ). We remind you
below of the specificities of these two awards. Please refer to the IAVCEI
website
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.iavceivolcano.org/__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!d8PAvjcdi50iIs5lBm0LHxsEnw_ECUApJ_3PGKD9hMeWGgDF3CxW-RuhuO6i3NfsCCgrmEw8XmQA5BdMVj7A$>
('Awards')
for the submission guidelines. The submission deadline will be *October 8,
2022*.

In standard time the George Walker Award and the Wager Medal are both
delivered every 2 years at the IAVCEI Scientific Assembly then the IAVCEI
General Assembly. However, owing to the COVID-19 pandemic, our Scientific
Assembly in Rotorua had to be postponed from 2021 to January 2023. Our SA
will thus happen just 6 months before our next General Assembly, planned to
occur in July 2023 during the 28th IUGG GA in Berlin. Given these very
exceptional circumstances, we thus recommend you to mind which of these two
Assemblies you wish to nominate. The second call for award nominations to
our GA in Berlin will be issued by early January 2023.

Over the past 8 years, the George Walker Award and the Wager Medal were
each awarded to 2 nominees. This rule will be maintained in 2023.
Finally, given the exceptional impact of the COVID-19 pandemic over the
past two years, especially on young scientists, nominators and the IAVCEI
award Committee might consider the possibility of nominations with a 2-yr
extension with respect to the standard duration after the Ph.D. acquisition
(besides extension for maternity/paternity, see below).

With my best regards,

Patrick Allard
IAVCEI President

1] The GEORGE WALKER AWARD
The George Walker Award honors the memory of Professor George Walker
(1926-2005) who pioneered a modern quantitative approach to physical
volcanology and greatly accelerated the understanding of volcanic processes.
The award is supported by the George Walker Fund. The award honors a
scientist up to 7 years after Ph.D. acquisition*. The award recognizes the
achievements of a recent outstanding graduate in the fields of research
encompassed by IAVCEI, or also a recent graduate whose achievements in
volcanology involved operating in difficult circumstances.

2] The WAGER MEDAL
The Wager Medal honors the memory of Professor Lawrence Rickard Wager
(1904-1965) of the University of Oxford (United Kingdom), best known for
the discovery of the Skaergaard layered intrusion and the first detailed
structural, mineralogical, and petrological study of such intrusions. The
Wager medal is given to a scientist up to 15 years after Ph.D.
acquisition*, who has made outstanding contributions to volcanology,
particularly in the eight-year period prior to the Award.

** For both George Walker and Wager awarding, the time window taken into
consideration for eligibility can be extended where maternity/paternity
leave has been taken since the award of Ph.D. For maternity, the time since
the award of a Ph.D. can be increased by 18 months or, where longer, by the
amount of leave actually taken for each child. For paternity, the time
since the award of a Ph.D. can be increased by the amount of paternity