"Constraining the stress evolution of magmatic systems..."; a multi-disciplinary IAVCEI 2023 Session

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

From: "Hickey, James" <J.Hickey@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear all,

It it my pleasure to highlight the following IAVCEI 2023
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://confer.eventsair.com/iavcei2023/__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!f0hlqmbwuI4B3C1KWQvrGnstI3eU090cXdUAj9ZyVQVkpAAOrm3jqKQJKic0KYBg7paPssJDaFIzn44mPJEk$>
Scientific
Assembly session:

"*Constraining the stress evolution of magmatic systems from
multi-disciplinary surface observations and numerical modelling*â??

convened by Dr James Hickey, Dr Patricia Gregg, Dr Hélène Le Mével, and Dr
Yosuke Aoki.

As part of the "*Using field data, geophysics, geochemistry, statistics,
and modeling to probe volcanic and plutonic systems*â?? theme our session
aims to present, explore and discuss how we can infer the spatial and
temporal stress evolution in magmatic systems from combined field
observations and numerical models. A full session description is provided
online
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://confer.eventsair.com/iavcei2023/scientific-symposia__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!f0hlqmbwuI4B3C1KWQvrGnstI3eU090cXdUAj9ZyVQVkpAAOrm3jqKQJKic0KYBg7paPssJDaFIzn5OYhIuK$>
and
below.

We hope to see you there. Abstracts due by 2nd September.

Many thanks,

James, Trish, Hélène and Yosuke.

*Key details:*
30 Jan - 3 Feb 2023, Rotorua, New Zealand
Abstract deadline 2 September 2022
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://confer.eventsair.com/iavcei2023/call-for-abstracts__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!f0hlqmbwuI4B3C1KWQvrGnstI3eU090cXdUAj9ZyVQVkpAAOrm3jqKQJKic0KYBg7paPssJDaFIzn6lotCM8$>

*Session description:*
Inferring the spatial and temporal stress evolution of magmatic systems,
and associated magma dynamics, inherently requires the use of modelling to
link monitoring surface observations to subsurface processes. Advances in
computing power, coupled with improvements in the understanding of magma
plumbing systems and the spatiotemporal resolution of monitoring data have
enabled the development of a new generation of geophysical and
geodynamic models. New models have led to better constraints on the
location, volume, rate, timing and mechanisms of magma supply, storage, and
failure (amongst others), and provide critical advances for eruption
forecasting and hazard assessment. In this session we will explore
the current and future capabilities of numerical models for constraining
the stress evolution in magmatic systems. We invite contributions
including, but not limited to:

â?¢ Numerical model interpretations of surface deformation, gravity changes,
and/or seismicity during volcanic unrest;
â?¢ Conceptual and theoretical studies testing the limitations and
sensitivities of model approaches;
â?¢ Estimates of magmatic stress failure conditions;
â?¢ Numerical approaches for forecasting eruptive activity;
â?¢ Emerging technologies and methods;
â?¢ Investigations addressing the broad evolution of trans crustal magmatic /
mush systems.

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1