AGU V007 - Lessons Learned from Eruption Scenarios and Hypothetical Exercises

5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5

From: "Montgomery-Brown, Emily K" <emontgomery-brown@xxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues, we would like to invite your abstracts for AGU's Fall
Meeting in Chicago this December describing what you have learned, or
benefits derived from synthetic eruption scenarios and other hypothetical
exercises.  The abstract deadline is Aug. 3.  We hope to see you there!

*V007 - Lessons Learned from Eruption Scenarios and Hypothetical Exercises*

Furthering our understanding volcano dynamics involves interpreting a range
of physical processes that occur relatively rarely in the real world.
Thus, hypothetical scenarios are critical for planning ahead to maximize
scientific progress from a real eruption. Hypothetical tabletop
 eruptions are a common method of exercising both emergency response and
scientific activities that would occur during a real eruption.  In the
realm of numerical modeling, forward and inverse models of volcano
deformation continue to increase in complexity and are increasingly applied
towards hazard assessment and event response.  These exercises are an
important component of establishing community standards and benchmarks to
ensure quality research and reproducibility.  Recently, several exercises
have been conducted in community research groups. We encourage participants
of these exercises, as well as researchers with studies of their own, to
share their results and insights about how hypothetical studies improve
volcano research.

Emily K. Montgomery-Brown- USGS Cascades Volcano Observatory
Einat Lev - Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory
Josh A Crozier - Rice University

5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5