Volcano deformation model verification and validation exercise launch

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

From: Leif Karlstrom <leif@xxxxxxxxxxx>

*Drivers of Volcano Deformation Phase 1*

We are pleased to announce the launch of a volcano model verification and
validation initiative â??Drivers of Volcano Deformationâ?? (DVD), sponsored by
CONVERSE/IAVCEI/Modeling Collaboratory for Subduction. DVD Phase 1 consists
of several exercises to test commonly used models for ground deformation at
volcanoes. As forward and inverse models of volcano deformation increase in
complexity, it is important to establish community standards for
reproducibility - these exercises provide one path towards such standards. In
Phase 1 we have developed a set of forward and inverse problems that are
intentionally somewhat simple, but still relevant to a range of volcano
deformation scenarios. We plan to develop more complex exercises in future
phases.

Exercises will wrap up summer 2022 (target completion by July/August) with
a workshop. We then intend to write a peer-reviewed paper in which every
group that participates significantly will be an author. We encourage
students and PIs alike to participate and will hold monthly office hours to
troubleshoot with participants.

The exercise problem statements and instructions, with a web platform for
uploading/downloading as well as interactive plotting of solutions, have
been published at:

*https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.driversofvolcanodeformation.org/__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!NRfxH8C13ElBLUayHTDnaY9qNLdRJ8EZFVap75FBHI5_ZNPMINbWMNFNniAQGGg$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.driversofvolcanodeformation.org/__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!L1SIRgBAHD6CSPOTybtijCoB3F3CWldgB3nzlAfsbsc4cZoNsAv5IzcRKwW3UF8$>*

Please contact any of the organizing committee below with questions. Thank
you in advance for participating!

Leif Karlstrom (U. Oregon)

Emily Montgomery-Brown (USGS CVO)

Josh Crozier (USGS CalVO)

Mary Grace Bato (NASA/JPL)

Valérie Cayol (CNRS)

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Volcano Listserv is a collaborative venture among Arizona State University
(ASU), Portland State University (PSU), the Global Volcanism Program (GVP)
of the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of Natural History, and
the International Association for Volcanology and Chemistry of the Earth's
Interior (IAVCEI).

ASU - http://www.asu.edu/

PSU - https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://pdx.edu/__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!NRfxH8C13ElBLUayHTDnaY9qNLdRJ8EZFVap75FBHI5_ZNPMINbWMNFNPLhcln8$

GVP - https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.volcano.si.edu/__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!NRfxH8C13ElBLUayHTDnaY9qNLdRJ8EZFVap75FBHI5_ZNPMINbWMNFNRMgo-SM$

IAVCEI - https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.iavceivolcano.org/__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!NRfxH8C13ElBLUayHTDnaY9qNLdRJ8EZFVap75FBHI5_ZNPMINbWMNFNuOGUhwE$

signoff volcano

to: listserv@xxxxxxx, or write to: volcano-request@xxxxxxx.

volcano@xxxxxxx.  Please do not send attachments.

End of Volcano Digest - 1 Apr 2022 to 4 Apr 2022 (#2022-36)