IAVCEI/IACS Volcano-Ice Interactions Commission Seminar 8th December 2021

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

From: Rosemary Philippa Cole - RH <rosiecole@xxxxx>

Please join us for our next seminar with our two speakers, Jim Head and Kat
Scanlon. Registration via the link below is required in order to receive
the zoom meeting invitation and/or access the recording, which will become
available after the meeting.

IAVCEI/IACS VIIC Seminar: Volcanoâ??Ice Interactions on Mars with Jim Head
and Kat Scanlon

8th December, 2021 | 2p PDT | 5p EDT | 10p UTC | 12p HST

9th December, 2021 | 7a JST |

Jim Head | Brown University | Volcanoâ??Ice Interactions on Mars: Keys to
Geologic and Atmospheric History

The current Mars ambient climate is a hypothermal, hyperarid desert with
kilometers-thick accumulations of water ice at the poles. Geologically
recent obliquity changes have transported significant quantities of ice
equatorward to form glaciers of various types.  The nature of the ancient
ambient climate of Mars is currently debated (Is it â??warm and wetâ?? or â??cold
and icyâ???).  All of these characteristics provide abundant opportunities to
study volcano-ice interactions. Following a brief introduction to Mars
environmental and volcanological histories, we will present several
examples (volcanic edifices built under polar ice sheets, geothermal
heating of volcano summit ice, top-down melting of ice sheets by lava
flows, mega-lahars, dikes now exposed in former ice sheets, etc.). These
illustrate how volcano-ice interaction analysis has helped to improve our
understanding of Marsâ?? volcanic and climate histories and their
interrelationships.

Kat Scanlon | Brown University | Volcanoâ??Ice Interactions in The Tharsis
Montes Glacial Deposits, Mars

Orographic lifting by the three enormous Tharsis Montes volcanoes on Mars
resulted in glaciation on their windward flanks as recently as ~125 million
years ago, coinciding with volcanic activity in the region. I will review
previous work on volcano-ice interactions in the glacial deposits adjoining
the Arsia Mons volcano, and discuss new high-resolution images and digital
terrain models of the better-exposed hypothesized glaciovolcanic landforms
adjoining the Pavonis Mons volcano.

You are invited to a Zoom meeting.

When: Dec 8, 2021 02:00 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

Register in advance for this meeting:

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://uoregon.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJcrdO-prjouGdIiTmluEB9cabjkW5hyVrmd__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!P83fNjwJTK25XUshXEfu64FW5a4PUkB7KLcgCzKWf-W4qRWGqzveGB5AjpBPDb8$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://uoregon.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJcrdO-prjouGdIiTmluEB9cabjkW5hyVrmd__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!L4xgJO1ZLopSZK4gc96oSfGwEnNPK264-S5RqP8I0iAJyr-8i78nzU4sGXtE8os$>

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing
information about joining the meeting.

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

--
*Rachel Holsteen-Bruyere*