COMET+ Webinar: Dr Thomas Aubry, University of Cambridge: 29 September 2021, 2 PM UK time

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

From: Chris Rollins <J.C.Rollins@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

COMET (The Centre for Observation and Modelling of Earthquakes, Volcanoes,
and Tectonics) invites you to the next installment of our COMET+ webinar
series, viewable from the home office.

*Impacts of climate change on the stratospheric volcanic sulfate aerosol
lifecycle and radiative forcing from tropical eruptions*

*Friday 29th September 2021 at 2pm UK time* (1pm UTC / 3pm CEST / 6am PDT)

*Dr Thomas J. Aubry*

*University of Cambridge, UK*

*Please register at: *
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://universityofleeds.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_z5l1aY-4Q_2pCXzuu67VGw__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!Ldnyu_zHPqEtAmzVa-SoSuOdoWzLEaOnavSUk8S11GJUkqhpPCLMjSm_lvsqpms$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://universityofleeds.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_z5l1aY-4Q_2pCXzuu67VGw__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!LFO9QMLya92UNH19_P8kJ6fCH0ysZ1AGIHYThULaEg-RP31Lz72_cenQiN2voZg$>

(After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing
information on how to join the webinar)

*Abstract**:*

Whereas the impact of volcanic eruption on climate is a mainstream research
topic, how climate change will alter volcanic processes remains largely
understudied despite rapid changes in the Earth System driven by
anthropogenic activities. In particular, the impacts of climate change on
the stratospheric volcanic sulfate aerosol lifecycle and radiative forcing
remains unexplored. Combining an eruptive column model with an
aerosol-climate model, I will show that the stratospheric aerosol optical
depth perturbation from frequent moderate-magnitude tropical eruptions
(e.g. Nabro 2011) could be reduced by 75% in a high-end warming scenario
compared to today, a consequence of future tropopause height rise and
unchanged eruptive column height. In contrast, global-mean radiative
forcing, stratospheric warming and surface cooling from infrequent
large-magnitude tropical eruptions (e.g. Mt. Pinatubo 1991) is projected to
increase by 30%, 52 and 15% in the future, respectively. These changes are
driven by an aerosol size decrease, mainly caused by the acceleration of
the Brewer-Dobson circulation, and an increase in eruptive column height.
Quantifying changes in both eruptive column dynamics and aerosol lifecycle
is therefore key to assessing the climate response to future eruptions. I
will discuss the limitations of models used to investigate climate-volcano
feedbacks and ongoing validation efforts. Last, I will discuss how
climate-volcano feedbacks affecting different volcanic processes, such as
those related to deglaciation and eruption frequency, could combine with
feedbacks related to the sulfate aerosol lifecycle to shape future volcanic
influences on climate.

The COMET+ webinar series promotes research by collaborators of COMET
scientists. We aim to provide a platform for these researchers to showcase
their work to large and international audiences, opening doors to broader
collaborative networks and enhancing the communityâ??s diversity of
backgrounds and ideas.

Catch up on past COMET and COMET+ webinars on our YouTube page:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtFDytX1hgjvlS4NH48M2oQ/videos__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!Ldnyu_zHPqEtAmzVa-SoSuOdoWzLEaOnavSUk8S11GJUkqhpPCLMjSm_ps_j0RY$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtFDytX1hgjvlS4NH48M2oQ/videos__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!LFO9QMLya92UNH19_P8kJ6fCH0ysZ1AGIHYThULaEg-RP31Lz72_cenQzWsV_Zw$>

Best wishes,

Tamarah King & Chris Rollins

COMET - Centre for the Observation and Modelling of Earthquakes, Volcanoes
and Tectonics

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://comet.nerc.ac.uk/__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!Ldnyu_zHPqEtAmzVa-SoSuOdoWzLEaOnavSUk8S11GJUkqhpPCLMjSm_Bh3jd8g$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://comet.nerc.ac.uk/__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!LFO9QMLya92UNH19_P8kJ6fCH0ysZ1AGIHYThULaEg-RP31Lz72_cenQJSMx4Sk$>

@NERC_COMET