A seminar series on diffusion modelling to determine timescales of processes (Diffusion Chronometry)

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

From: Linda Sobolewski <linda.sobolewski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

Our next seminar series will be held on Thursday, September 23 (16:30-18:30
CEST) with

*Hannah Shamloo, Oregon State University, USA: â??Rethinking How We Determine
Magmatic Timescales: Multi-mode Mg Diffusion in Sanidine and Implications
for the Timing of Eruption Initiationâ??*

*Summary:** Mineral zoning and the diffusion of elements across these zones
has been widely used to determine the timescales of magmatic processes.
Recent experimental work reveals that diffusion in feldspar, a ubiquitous
phase in magmatic systems, is more complex than previously understood,
reshaping the way we use chronometers to determine meaningful timescales.
In this talk I will present a new experimentally derived diffusion
chronometer, and apply it to the Lava Creek Tuff supereruption at
Yellowstone in order to determine the timing of eruption initiation.*

and

*Youxue Zhang, University of Michigan, USA: â??Multicomponent and isotope
diffusion in silicate meltsâ??*

*Summary:** All diffusion in natural melts is complicated multicomponent
diffusion. I will present our effort to obtain reliable 6 by 6 diffusion
matrix in a 7-component haplobasalt, and 7 by 7 diffusion matrix in an
8-component basalt similar to MORB. It is possible now to roughly predict
multicomponent diffusion in basalts. In addition, diffusion of potassium
isotopes during multicomponent diffusion will also be discussed.*

Registration is required to avoid undesired interruptions. Please register
by clicking the following link:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://ruhr-uni-bochum.zoom.us/meeting/register/u5wkce6qrD0vGN2SCmOrd-ASaiAKJcYnLz-c__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!Lp2oWj-DWmS2rSwEbiiC_8DE9Vzk-dayrEZ7-6-vN-Ydi3Ty-YpxLoxUnEqwvO0$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://ruhr-uni-bochum.zoom.us/meeting/register/u5wkce6qrD0vGN2SCmOrd-ASaiAKJcYnLz-c__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!LTlh5uYf5sEheQc4rS4F4hBWfuM4QYnD2_S6_oxGrHlrJJnHbN5imrPjW4hv0mg$>
-
all registrants will receive a link to the seminar that is valid for that
person only.

A recording of each seminar series is available via the following link:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://diffchron.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/seminars/__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!Lp2oWj-DWmS2rSwEbiiC_8DE9Vzk-dayrEZ7-6-vN-Ydi3Ty-YpxLoxUgXXqmD0$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://diffchron.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/seminars/__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!LTlh5uYf5sEheQc4rS4F4hBWfuM4QYnD2_S6_oxGrHlrJJnHbN5imrPj4m1cUvI$>

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2