COMET Webinar - Dr Isabelle Taylor - 18th July 4pm UK

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

From: Tamarah King <tamarah.king@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

COMET (The Centre for Observation and Modelling of Earthquakes, Volcanoes,
and Tectonics) invites you to the next instalment of our webinar series,
viewable from the home office.

Coming up:

*Measurements of volcanic plumes with the Infrared Atmospheric Sounding
Interferometer (IASI)*

*Dr. Isabelle Taylor *(University of Oxford)

*Wednesday the 18th of August 2021 at 16:00 UK time* (BST) / 5pm CEST / 8am
Pacific USA

Please register at:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://universityofleeds.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_kwBqPnyzQBeztktX9O2wRA__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!IQb0Cic8kE9rrO21AwiNGFWkJ6V6Oi8Vi9QqOtVs1tHHijdMTpzPy3JW7teQcaM$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://universityofleeds.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_kwBqPnyzQBeztktX9O2wRA__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!LcR6vBCq3cC6sjNYjmzNzMIUZLnUY_n8N1KAbJ1cKu-kMmo6BaKt5vdxZr2YMwM$>

(After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing
information on how to join the webinar)

*Abstract:*

Volcanic plumes of ash and gas are one of the many hazards associated with
volcanic eruptions.  Monitoring emissions can offer some insight into
volcanic behaviour and is essential for assessing the hazard they present
as well as their potential impacts on the environment and climate. Using
satellite data, we are able to get a global picture of these emissions.

The Earth Observation Data Group in Oxford uses a number of different
satellite instruments to study volcanic plumes. One of these is the
Infrared Atmospheric Sounding Interferometer (IASI) which has sensitivity
to both SO2 and volcanic ash. This allows us to identify pixels which
contain SO2 and ash, and then quantify plume properties. With the first
instrument launched in 2006 and data becoming available in mid-2007, we now
have a rich dataset on global SO2 emissions. This talk will provide an
overview of this dataset and will discuss some results from recent
eruptions of Raikoke (June 2019) and La Soufrière (April 2021).

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1