PiAutoStage: New Automated Petrographic Tool

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

From: Alex Steiner <steineralex185@xxxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

    I would like to bring your attention to an article recently published
in EOS describing the PiAutoStage system. The system is our new open-source
approach to imaging microscope specimens and then delivering those images
in an online, accessible format. The PiAutoStage was developed to deliver
petrographic imagery of our in-house collection of specimens to students
during the shift to online learning. Our students found the online delivery
of images effective and they were able to interact with the imagery in
almost the same way as a petrographic microscope. The system has also
allowed undergraduate (and graduate) researchers to continue working on
their projects, even though they have not been able to access microscopes
in the research laboratory.

     The PiAutoStage is fully open source, user made, and customizable.
The PiAutoStage is extremely affordable (~$200), compared to similar
commercially available systems, and is made by the user from 3D
printed components, inexpensive electronics, and small-format computers.
The system mounts directly to an existing microscope and captures images
through the microscope optical train, taking advantage of the superior
optics. The PiAutoStage automatically collects hundreds of images that can
then be stitched into an image mosaic using a variety of openly
available software. Those images are then delivered to students or
collaborators in an accessible manner using an open-source online
web-viewer.

To learn more about the PiAutoStage:

EOS Article:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://eos.org/articles/a-new-tool-may-make-geological-microscopy-data-more-accessible__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!Mi5KkKu_U6W6DOyv37yB02-9IWrhhNfYbLpW8bfnYMsKd0kKSqk45Ln-JSLFxwo$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://eos.org/articles/a-new-tool-may-make-geological-microscopy-data-more-accessible__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!IwahKgiN7lhjkK-KIcw1WKzHHT9s2Mm9ClM44iXU9rQ3NOdHOBm8jI9Ik2IdH4k$>

Publication in G3: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://doi.org/10.1029/2021GC009693__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!Mi5KkKu_U6W6DOyv37yB02-9IWrhhNfYbLpW8bfnYMsKd0kKSqk45Ln-fyiF32Q$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://doi.org/10.1029/2021GC009693__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!IwahKgiN7lhjkK-KIcw1WKzHHT9s2Mm9ClM44iXU9rQ3NOdHOBm8jI9IGms7PAQ$>

PiAutoStage Website: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://sites.google.com/msu.edu/piautostage__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!Mi5KkKu_U6W6DOyv37yB02-9IWrhhNfYbLpW8bfnYMsKd0kKSqk45Ln-s7177Ss$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://sites.google.com/msu.edu/piautostage__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!IwahKgiN7lhjkK-KIcw1WKzHHT9s2Mm9ClM44iXU9rQ3NOdHOBm8jI9IWEaCF4E$>